RX 480 now... or wait

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new graphics card, so I can move my GTX 960 to Becky's PC - as her GTX 560 doesn't support UEFI boot.

I'm considering getting an 8GB RX 480, as they've come down in price to around £185... however it looks like the new RX 500 series could be out in a few months time.

Any got any thoughts on the current state of the graphics card market, and which one to go for?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I can't find an RX 480 for under £200 ... buy it for me, I'll give you the moneys (honest) and I'll put it in my Ryzen build. :)

I will be 'plonking' anything cheapish into the Ryzen, £150 will do me, then I'll 'upgrade' when the NEW AMDs have matured a little. :nod:

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Get the 8GB one, games are using more and more VRAM, and as time goes on its will only increase. ;)

Upping your resolution and/or AA levels etc will only increase this.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm getting the card I'm getting as a stop-gap until I 'see' what the new AMD GDUs matchup with. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky needs a new graphics card... Ian gets the upgrade :lol:

To be fair I don't do much gaming at all on my PC any more, I mostly use the PS4.

Bring on the hand-me-downs! :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Becky needs a new graphics card... Ian gets the upgrade :lol:

To be fair I don't do much gaming at all on my PC any more, I mostly use the PS4.

Bring on the hand-me-downs! :thumb:

wait! ... you only hearing of this now?

:lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
wait! ... you only hearing of this now?

:lol:

Lol, nope I had some advance warning. Kinda went something like this:

Ian: I need to reformat your PC.
Me: Really? Everything is fine, but OK.
Ian: Oops there is now a problem. You need a new graphics card.

To be fair it just brought to light a problem that was already there... and Ian has been wanting a new graphics card for a while ;) :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
yeah, I see it, but I'll go into the red if I buy that now ... my Ryzen CPU was delivered Saturday.

Oh nice :D. Have you got it up and running yet?

In the end, I didn't go for a RX 480 - I fixed the problem on Becky's PC without resorting to changing the graphics card (a problem with UEFI boot and the GTX 500 series). I'm going to hold off for another year or so and then take the plunge (perhaps getting a Ryzen too!).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some things in this world never change.

Holding off buying computer components as 'Something better is round the corner' is one of them.

In theory this would mean I'm still running a Socket A 1.2Ghz Athlon with an AGP graphics card ;)

Ask a Question