Running Process'

My 2002 Pro box seems to be constantly "Grinding" doing something. Task Manager shows the System Idle Process as taking up to 90+% of the CPU. It's an Athalon board running 1.9 GHz Intel P-4 processor. It's done it almost the entire time I've owned the thing, almost 3 years now. Is this cause for concern or is it merely, really, really annoying? I have another box running XP Pro as well and it doesn't run constantly, like this Athlon does.
Constantly is a strong description but when this thing gets going it seemingly just won't stop. I don't know if I should disable the process or what.
Help me out here if you have any suggestions I'd be greatly beholdin to ya!

Jim Macklin

Athalon is an AMD and P4 is an Intel. The don't mix.

"Confused/concerned" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| My 2002 Pro box seems to be constantly "Grinding" doing
something. Task Manager shows the System Idle Process as
taking up to 90+% of the CPU. It's an Athalon board running
1.9 GHz Intel P-4 processor. It's done it almost the entire
time I've owned the thing, almost 3 years now. Is this cause
for concern or is it merely, really, really annoying? I have
another box running XP Pro as well and it doesn't run
constantly, like this Athlon does.
| Constantly is a strong description but when this thing
gets going it seemingly just won't stop. I don't know if I
should disable the process or what.
| Help me out here if you have any suggestions I'd be
greatly beholdin to ya!

David Candy

System idle is the time it has nothing to do and is waiting for you to give it something to do, like pressing a key or moving a mouse. Most computers spin their wheels over 90% o the time.

Richie NY

That grinding noise could possibly be bad sectors on your
physical hard drive, if you also hear what sounds like a
clicking sound as well, you may want to quickly have that
diagnosed and save your personal information, address
books files account info burn them off the machine, in
the case the drive goes, I recommend Hitachi/IBM 120 gig
at CDW for just over 100 bucks
My 2002 Pro box seems to be constantly "Grinding" doing
something. Task Manager shows the System Idle Process as
taking up to 90+% of the CPU. It's an Athalon board
running 1.9 GHz Intel P-4 processor. It's done it almost
the entire time I've owned the thing, almost 3 years now.
Is this cause for concern or is it merely, really, really
annoying? I have another box running XP Pro as well and
it doesn't run constantly, like this Athlon does.
Constantly is a strong description but when this thing
gets going it seemingly just won't stop. I don't know if
I should disable the process or what.

Vagabond Software

Ignore the idle time... Idle time is good when your computer isn't doing
anything.

What exactly is the 'grinding'? Are you saying the hard drive is 'grinding'
away on something or is there a 'grinding noise' simply coming from inside
your computer?

- carl

Confused/concerned said:
My 2002 Pro box seems to be constantly "Grinding" doing something. Task
Manager shows the System Idle Process as taking up to 90+% of the CPU. It's
an Athalon board running 1.9 GHz Intel P-4 processor. It's done it almost
the entire time I've owned the thing, almost 3 years now. Is this cause for
concern or is it merely, really, really annoying? I have another box running
XP Pro as well and it doesn't run constantly, like this Athlon does.
Constantly is a strong description but when this thing gets going it
seemingly just won't stop. I don't know if I should disable the process or
what.
Help me out here if you have any suggestions I'd be greatly beholdin to
ya!

dglock

how can he be running a pentium processor on a board
designed for an amd processor?
don

Vagabond Software

dglock said:
how can he be running a pentium processor on a board
designed for an amd processor?
don

There are many questions, like what is meant by the term "2002 Pro"... but
Pentium processors don't fit into Athlon sockets, and if he had a
processor/chipset incompatibility; there would be no grinding, just frying.

So, I'm assuming the original poster has either Windows ME, Windows 2000
Pro, or Windows XP and he is hearing a grinding from the inside his case.

My initial guess is that his CPU fan is shot. My second guess is his GPU
fan is shot, and my third guess is that his power supply fan is shot.

- carl

David - thanks for the heads up on the idle time for the system process. I couldn't find a reference to it in the resource kit. I also thought 2002 was synonomous with XP. I guess not huh by the looks of some of the other responses.

I said Athalon but I meant an Asus board. The grinding is my term for the machine working at something like grinding away. You're all right, they don't mix. There isn't an actual, "Grinding" sound coming from the machine. I was just concerned about the red, working, lights seemingly being on for long periods of time and the system idle time showing such high %'s of the CPU usage.
Thanks to you all for the input.

----- Vagabond Software wrote: ----

dglock said:
how can he be running a pentium processor on a boar
designed for an amd processor
do

There are many questions, like what is meant by the term "2002 Pro"... bu
Pentium processors don't fit into Athlon sockets, and if he had
processor/chipset incompatibility; there would be no grinding, just frying

So, I'm assuming the original poster has either Windows ME, Windows 200
Pro, or Windows XP and he is hearing a grinding from the inside his case

My initial guess is that his CPU fan is shot. My second guess is his GP
fan is shot, and my third guess is that his power supply fan is shot

- car

David Candy

Before the marketing people took ofer we had version numbers. We still doi hidden away.

Windows XP is Windows NT 5.1
Windows 2000 is Windows NT 5.0
Office 2000 is composed of various programs which are Version 9 (eg Word 9.0, Excel 9.0)
Office XP/2002 is Word 10.0 et al