Running pc without monitor?

Mike Waters

Is it safe to boot a pc with a monitor connected, and then disconnect it and
leave running continuously, or is it likely to cause damage to the graphics
card long term ?

(I need to run a desktop box as a server, but i dont have room to have a
monitor connected all the time)

Thanks,

Mike W.

Gregory Kleverlaan

Mike Waters said:
Is it safe to boot a pc with a monitor connected, and then disconnect it and
leave running continuously, or is it likely to cause damage to the graphics
card long term ?

(I need to run a desktop box as a server, but i dont have room to have a
monitor connected all the time)

Just get a cheap monitor/kb/mouse etc switch box. That would probably suit
you well.

JH

I have done so continiously for over a year.
I have several ways to access the box...
via the network, this is the usual way
or for maintenance have it on a KVM switch
I have also used RealVNC to maintain, but found it was a memory hog with a
likely memory leak.

Unfortunately my ISP requires a Windows utility to keep the connection
alive, so I run Apache on Win 98 on a P1-133. egardless, this is stable,
usually runs more than a month before maintenance (log file cleanup etc.,)
I have had no intrusions, despite some attempts being detected by the D-601
router that provides the hardware firewall.

Is it safe to boot a pc with a monitor connected, and then disconnect it and
leave running continuously, or is it likely to cause damage to the graphics
card long term ?

(I need to run a desktop box as a server, but i dont have room to have a
monitor connected all the time)

Thanks,

Mike W.

By the time it damages the graphics card, the cost of the graphics
card would have depreciated to such a point to be a non-issue.

My suggestion : use a cheap graphics card.