"Run DLL as an APP?

D

David

I am trying to use Settings > Add/Remove Programs to get rid of a program that I do not use. Now I get the following:-

"Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

With that I'm dumped back in Control Panel. I've done a bit of Googling, but mostly this message seems to appear on
start-up, or have something to do with System Restore which I never use since I make images for restoring. However I'd
like to get some idea as to why this might have cropped up. I'm using XP Home SP2 with all updates and haven't added any
software in the last few months.

Any suggestions?

David

P

paulmd

David said:
I am trying to use Settings > Add/Remove Programs to get rid of a program that I do not use. Now I get the following:-

"Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

With that I'm dumped back in Control Panel. I've done a bit of Googling, but mostly this message seems to appear on
start-up, or have something to do with System Restore which I never use since I make images for restoring. However I'd
like to get some idea as to why this might have cropped up. I'm using XP Home SP2 with all updates and haven't added any
software in the last few months.

Any suggestions?

David

By chance are you using a screen reader? The message might be a
slightly garbled version of a real message. There is a program in
Windows called RUNDLL32.exe.

At any rate: something's crashing. Either hardware or software, if it's
hardware, it could be RAM, or possibly hard drive. But if it's only
crashing at this one point (and not random crashes at other times),
it's probably not hardware.

To test ram, download memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

For software, I will allow those more expert in the software arena to
fill in. But a virus is always a possibility.

D

David

This generally has to do with Screen Savers, etc.
Are you also having problems with your Display options?

No other problems at all. The screen setting is as it always has been, 1024x768, 32 bit colour. I do use Screen Paver,
it displays photos in a ramdom order, but it has been running on this machine for the last couple of years without a
problem. The mem check too comes up clean, XP updates, anti-spyware and virus protection are up to date.

I suppose I could simply delete the program files and then let jv16 Power Tools loose to dig out the remains, or I guess
go back to the most recent image, not quite as recent as I'd have liked though.

David

D

David

By chance are you using a screen reader? The message might be a
slightly garbled version of a real message. There is a program in
Windows called RUNDLL32.exe.
Nope, that's the message alright
To test ram, download memtest86+ from www.memtest.org
Tried that mem test and it comesup clean. Thanks for the suggestions.

David

G

Same problem exactly, XP Pro all current patches, regional location Australia.
And, I have done the "disable system restore service" thing that is
recommended for a range of problems with similar error messages.

Ask a Question