Rules don't seem to work automatically - I must manually run them

Dave Horne

I keep receiving messages from sourceforge.net and have the Rules set to
automatically delete them. The Rule only seems to work when I run that rule
manually.

I realize this information is quite generic but was wondering if there is
general advice for me to follow first. I'm not new to computers nor to
Outlook and I'm at a loss to understand why Rules is not working as I would
expect it to.

Thanks, Dave

VanguardLH

Dave said:
I keep receiving messages from sourceforge.net and have the Rules set to
automatically delete them. The Rule only seems to work when I run that rule
manually.

I realize this information is quite generic but was wondering if there is
general advice for me to follow first. I'm not new to computers nor to
Outlook and I'm at a loss to understand why Rules is not working as I would
expect it to.

Thanks, Dave

When you run the rules manually, are you running ALL of them or just the
one rule that applies against the unwanted e-mail? If you are running
just one rule manually then it is likely that a prior rule in the list
is preventing the wanted rule from getting reached. That is, some prior
rule (with a stop-clause) is triggering first and prevents getting to
the later rule that you want exercised against the unwanted e-mail.

Enable ALL rules when running them manually and see if your particular
rule still gets exercised against the unwanted e-mail. If not, start
looking at the logic or flow through the rules prior to the one you want
to trigger.

Dave Horne

VanguardLH said:
When you run the rules manually, are you running ALL of them or just the
one rule that applies against the unwanted e-mail? If you are running
just one rule manually then it is likely that a prior rule in the list
is preventing the wanted rule from getting reached. That is, some prior
rule (with a stop-clause) is triggering first and prevents getting to
the later rule that you want exercised against the unwanted e-mail.

Enable ALL rules when running them manually and see if your particular
rule still gets exercised against the unwanted e-mail. If not, start
looking at the logic or flow through the rules prior to the one you want
to trigger.

I tried all the suggestions given but still have the same problem. I
deleted _all_ the rules and everythign related to them and then just added
one rule. That rule only works when I apply it manually.

Is there a file I can delete that contains all the 'rules' so I can start
from scratch? This 'problem' isn't a big deal but I am at a loss to
understand why Rules is not worling as it should.

Thanks, Dave Horne

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Is there a file I can delete that contains all the 'rules' so I can start
from scratch? This 'problem' isn't a big deal but I am at a loss to
understand why Rules is not worling as it should.

No file, but you can start Outlook once with the /cleanrules command switch to
clear out all rules.

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
No file, but you can start Outlook once with the /cleanrules command
switch to clear out all rules.

Brian, thanks. I ran that switch, closed Outlook, restarted it with no
switches and then added one rule.

The 'Review Rule Description' is as follows:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
from (e-mail address removed)
delete it

I won't know if this works until I receive yet another piece of unwanted
mail from sourceforge.net.

I'll be back to report whether this rule worked or not. Thanks again, Dave
Horne

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
No file, but you can start Outlook once with the /cleanrules command
switch to clear out all rules.

My problem still exists. Rules does not delete e-mail automatically though
it does work if I use it manually.

I am still open to suggestions. Thanks, Dave Horne

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

My problem still exists. Rules does not delete e-mail automatically though
it does work if I use it manually.

Try using the condition "with specific words in the sender's address" and make
those specific words "sourceforge.net", instead of the "from people or
distribution list" condition. If you have more than one rule, also add the
"stop proccessing more rules" action.

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
Try using the condition "with specific words in the sender's address" and
make those specific words "sourceforge.net", instead of the "from people
or distribution list" condition. If you have more than one rule, also add
the "stop proccessing more rules" action.

Brian, I've tried what you suggested and the only way to get Rules to work
is if I invoke Rules manually.

Is it possible (and I'll enclose the message routing if you wish) that what
I see as 'From' and 'To' is not what Rules sees?

Thanks, Dave Horne

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Is it possible (and I'll enclose the message routing if you wish) that what
I see as 'From' and 'To' is not what Rules sees?

It's very possible. That's why I saoid to use the condition I mentioned
rather than the "from people or distribution list" condition. If the "with
specific words in the sender's address" doesn't work, then try "with specific
words in the message header".

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
It's very possible. That's why I saoid to use the condition I mentioned
rather than the "from people or distribution list" condition. If the
"with specific words in the sender's address" doesn't work, then try "with
specific words in the message header".

Brian, I've already tried that and the same thing happens - Rules only work
manually, not automatically.

I've also Googled this general problem and see that there are others with
the same problem. I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks, Dave Horne

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Brian, I've already tried that and the same thing happens - Rules only work
manually, not automatically.

Does the behavior change if run in Outlook's safe mode?

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
Does the behavior change if run in Outlook's safe mode?

__________________________________

Brian, first, thanks again for your patience with this.

I started Outlook 2007 in Safemode (using Outlook Tools 2.2) and choosing
the topmost 'safe' startup switch. (Starts Outlook without Microsoft
Exchange Server Client Extensions (ECE), the Reading Pane, or toolbar
customizations. Component Object Model (COM) add-ins are turned off.)

Again, Rules would only delete the message if I invoked Rules manually; it
doesn't delete the message in question automatically.

I will include the message routing in question below. Also, the rule for
this message which only works manually is:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with sourceforge.net in the message header
delete it

__________________________________

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:47:15 +0200 (CEST)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by mta1z1.gn.mail.iss.as9143.net
From: Kristyn <[email protected]>
Subject: [SPAM]{Spam?} [SPAM] It's your enemy writing
To: (e-mail address removed)
http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details. 0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains
an
URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist [URIs: lofecid.ru] 2.0 URIBL_BLACK
Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist [URIs: lofecid.ru] 0.0
MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header 0.5 RCVD_IN_PBL RBL:
Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL [124.53.7.20 listed in
zen.spamhaus.org]
2.9 RCVD_IN_XBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL 2.5
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
[Blocked -
see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?124.53.7.20>] 1.3 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_32
BODY: HTML: images with 2800-3200 bytes of words 0.2 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_04
BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE
BODY: HTML included in message 1.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only
has
text/html MIME parts 1.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 Razor2 gives engine 8
confidence level above 50% [cf: 100] 2.0 RAZOR2_CHECK Listed in
Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/) 0.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2 gives
confidence level above 50% [cf: 100]

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Again, Rules would only delete the message if I invoked Rules manually; it
doesn't delete the message in question automatically.

I will include the message routing in question below. Also, the rule for
this message which only works manually is:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with sourceforge.net in the message header
delete it

Is this your only rule?

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
I'm stumped. Sorry.

Brian, I just got back from a short vacation and see _now_ that Rules (re
sourceforge.net) is in fact working. I did a little google research re this
problem and it seems (at least in my case) that the added step of clicking
on the top most option - Sent to People or Distribution list did the trick
(including myself, of course). Just clicking on 'specific words' in the
subject, body, etc. didn\t work; it seems that I first had to include
'myself' in the list of conditions.

Problem solved .... and I thank you for your input.

All the best, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
I'm stumped. Sorry.

.... a correction to my previous post. The 'Sent To' option is not the
topmost option when creating a new rule from scratch. I looked at the now
successful sourceforge.net rule and saw the 'Sent to' option as the topmost.

At any rate, adding myself to the Rule did the trick as I wrote in my

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

At any rate, adding myself to the Rule did the trick as I wrote in my

I'm glad it's working, although it should have worked before without adding
yourself as the recipient.

Dave Horne

Brian Tillman said:
I'm glad it's working, although it should have worked before without
adding yourself as the recipient.

Thanks ... in my haste to post I neglected to add that the 'recipient' was
not my regular e-mail address but the one given to me from this spammer -
(e-mail address removed) ... or something like that. I created that
new entry for myself in order to get Rules to work.

All the best, DH