RRAS Filter Ports for Printing from Company Network to VPN Client Printer

G

We have just implemented RRAS Filters, specifically DNS (53) and RDP (3389) to allow terminal sessions from VPN Clients. We used to allow all traffic in and out, which these clients used to print from the terminal server (win2000) in the local lan , back to their home pc attached printers (pcs are part of the comapny domain). Obviously since I implemented the RRAS filters, (I know that printing doesn't flow over these two ports) it doesn't allow the printing requests to map or print through the filter. I have searched high and low, and cam across tcp ports 137,138,139 and udp 139 which deal with windows printing, and have packet sniffed to find out that in deed these ports are some of the ones required, but also I seem to believe 445 is also required. After all this work , however, I still cant't seem to get the print requests back to the client printers. The only mysterious thing that I came up with is that internally (comapny LAN) it appears to be doing a NetBios Broadcast to actually "Map" the printer in the first place. So....
(Question 1) Does anyone know if this is the case that NetBios is required to Map printers in Windows
(Question 2) Being that the list of RRAS Filters has TCP, UDP, and others, how does one specify a broadcast of Netbios (even NetBios over TCP/IP) with the RRAS Filters
(Question 3) Does anyone know which ports explicitly need to be open to map and print via widows

Thanks

Ted

B

Bill Grant

For information on direct hosting using port 445, see KB 315267 .

In my experience, many print drivers are not equipped to handle this.
They need to use Netbios, even if normal file sharing works with direct
hosting.

Ted said:
We have just implemented RRAS Filters, specifically DNS (53) and RDP
(3389) to allow terminal sessions from VPN Clients. We used to allow all
traffic in and out, which these clients used to print from the terminal
server (win2000) in the local lan , back to their home pc attached printers
(pcs are part of the comapny domain). Obviously since I implemented the RRAS
filters, (I know that printing doesn't flow over these two ports) it doesn't
allow the printing requests to map or print through the filter. I have
searched high and low, and cam across tcp ports 137,138,139 and udp 139
which deal with windows printing, and have packet sniffed to find out that
in deed these ports are some of the ones required, but also I seem to
believe 445 is also required. After all this work , however, I still cant't
seem to get the print requests back to the client printers. The only
mysterious thing that I came up with is that internally (comapny LAN) it
appears to be doing a NetBios Broadcast to actually "Map" the printer in the
first place. So.....
(Question 1) Does anyone know if this is the case that NetBios is required to Map printers in Windows?
(Question 2) Being that the list of RRAS Filters has TCP, UDP, and others,
how does one specify a broadcast of Netbios (even NetBios over TCP/IP) with
the RRAS Filters?

Ask a Question