Windows XP rpc server unavailable

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a new printer, and it won't install because the rpc server is unavailable. I went into the admin tools then services, to check it, and it is running. I've been trying to research the internet for possible solutions and it seems this is a common problem... but with a very basic understanding of how to navigate through the inner-workings of my computer, i'm kinda stuck. So...

1. How do I check windows firewall for file and print sharing exception?

and

2. IF that doesn't work, i came across an article saying to:

1. Copy the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files from another Windows NT 4.0-based server or workstation to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder on the affected computer.

2. Apply or reapply the latest appropriate Windows NT service pack, and then restart the computer.

3.Set the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service to start automatically:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Services.
On the Service list, click Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service, and then click Startup.
Under Startup Type, click Automatic, and then click OK.
4. Restart your computer.

BUT i have no idea how to do either #1 or #2. could anyone explain this for me? Any help would be much appreciated :) thanks

Ask a Question