Rock Hound, digital photographer

Reaction score
Happy New Year! I guess I will start off and introduce myself as an avid rock and mineral collector who takes a lot of digital pictures of cut stones, I am also a cutter, that I sell on Ebay under the seller ID: dmgems. I want to upgrade my computer to help me process my pictures faster using Photoshop. I live in SLC and work for the mining department. Thanks and hope to become more educated about computers, maybe even building one, yikes? Kindest regards and nice to meet you all!

Reaction score
Hi dmgems welcome to the site:thumb:. I am not able to help on the photo software but there will be someone here I am sure. Happy New Year to you and yours. By the way where is SLC?

Reaction score
SLC is Salt Lake City, Ut. I have lived here for 32 years and probably ready for a warmer climate?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
SLC is Salt Lake City, Ut. I have lived here for 32 years and probably ready for a warmer climate?

You can always move down here to Sugar land, apparently the third best place to live in the US :thumb:

As for upgrading your computer let us know what your budget is so that we can guide you in the right direction.

The most important thing to note about a computer for editing photographs is to have as much memory as you can afford as photos rely heavily on ram. I understand that your final images are for web publishing so your end result will be smaller images best for uploading/web publishing.

If you have enough time on your hand between work and running your ebay site you can build and fine tune your computer, but if you have constraints you may benefit buying a built up computer when you come across a good deal. In any case let us know.

By the way welcome to PC Review!

Reaction score
I ordered 4 GB of paired memory so i will see if that does wonders. How do i figure out what kind of video card i have. It does not have any marking on it other then made in China?:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You can download Belarc advisor and run it, it will give you the complete details of your computer both hardware and software wise.

You can use this program every once in a while without going through the hassle of opening up the case or making a short list of programs you have on the computer. It will also come in handy when you are upgrading.

Install it, run it and print it, as simple as that :)