"Right to Repair" law planned

News "Right to Repair" law planned

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new resource:

"Right to Repair" law planned - The EU is considering introducing legislation to improve the repairability of electronics goods.

The European Commission has proposed introducing new laws which will improve the "right to repair" of electronics devices. So many laptops, mobile phones and other devices are difficult to repair and are simply thrown away when a single module or component breaks. The premise of the new laws would be to tackle the disposable and "premature obsolescence" culture of electronics goods, and instead promote extending the lifespan and repairability.

This proposal (dubbed the Circular Economy...

Read more about this resource...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really hope this does come in to force. I've had so many appliances break this past few month, and fortunately the vast majority of them have been repairable with a little work. It seems crazy to throw away appliances and devices if a very small part is faulty, if there's a chance it can be repaired.

I do wonder how phone manufacturers will comply, as these devices are so complex and designed in such a way that it's often hard to even access the internal battery. Will "right to repair" simply mean we can return the device within x number of years (i.e. 5) and they will refurbish and repair it in a lab?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You would certainly like to think so, Ian. I hate throwing things away when I know that there is just one tiny fault stopping it working but, as you say, items are now so complicated and difficult to repair that manufacturers will probably just charge more for a repair than for a new item. I wonder if they can be compelled to repair at a cost lower than the replacement cost because, if not, then it will never work.

It all sounds fine in theory but I wonder whether it will ever work out in practice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It all sounds fine in theory but I wonder whether it will ever work out in practice.
Yep, I wonder this too. I'd certainty like to see dryers, washing machines and fridges be more repairable and longer lasting - some of them are so shoddily made :eek:.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Yep, I wonder this too. I'd certainty like to see dryers, washing machines and fridges be more repairable and longer lasting - some of them are so shoddily made :eek:.
My old Indiset used to pop its clogs every so often on a dry cycle and would have to call out the repair man. £35 for him to plug his laptop in and reset the system. Many days and some really shady websites later I found the diagnostic software he used and started doing it myself.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Build things to last 10 years, minimum, then we won't need to ask for any laws.

My Pantry Fridge is 15 years old as is my Washing machine. :)

I've jinxed them now, haven't I.

Ask a Question