Reverse DNS - 26 bit

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I need to configure a subnetted reverse DNS zone on my Internet DNS servers.
I am running Windows 2003. I thought I did it correctly but the the subnet
is throwing me off. Can and one give me some advice on this.

208.5.55.0 255.255.255.192

Thanks

Harrison

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Harrison Midkiff said:
Hello:

I need to configure a subnetted reverse DNS zone on my Internet DNS
servers. I am running Windows 2003. I thought I did it correctly but
the the subnet is throwing me off. Can and one give me some advice
on this.
208.5.55.0 255.255.255.192

Thanks

Harrison

HOWTO Configure a Subnetted Reverse Lookup Zone on Windows NT, W2k and W2k3
(174419):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174419

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

create a DNS zone with the name: 0-26.55.5.208.in-addr.arpa

or

DNSCMD.EXE /ZoneAdd 0-26.55.5.208.in-addr.arpa /Primary /file
0-26.55.5.208.in-addr.arpa.dns

for more info have a look at the article Ace gave you. However, dynamic
updates are not possible. You must add PTR records manually.
--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

the article (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174419) says:
"Note Dynamic updates for subnetted reverse lookups do not work in Windows
2000. The records will need to be added manually. Using "Create Associated
PTR record" checkbox will not work for the subnetted reverse lookup zone
when "A" (host) record is created through GUI"

the article
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cncf_imp_dewg.mspx?mfr=true)
says:
"Dynamic update does not work with classless in - addr.arpa zones. If you
need to dynamically update PTR resource records, do not use classless zones"

I have submitted an proposal to update the first article to:
"where the note is changed to:
Note Dynamic updates for subnetted reverse lookups do not work in Windows
2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. The records will need to be added
manually. Using "Create Associated PTR record" checkbox will not work for
the subnetted reverse lookup zone when "A" (host) record is created through
GUI"

I found out when doing some tests in w2k3sp1. It did not create the PTR
record until I created classfull dns zones (8, 16 or 24 bit)

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!
Ace Fekay said:
In Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]
<[email protected]> stated, which I
commented on below:
dynamic updates are not possible. You must add PTR records manually.

Curious, have you tested that?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

[...]
Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. The records will need to
be added manually. Using "Create Associated PTR record" checkbox will
not work for the subnetted reverse lookup zone when "A" (host) record
is created through GUI"

I found out when doing some tests in w2k3sp1. It did not create the
PTR record until I created classfull dns zones (8, 16 or 24 bit)

I hope it gets published. I don't see why not. It would make sense for an
article like that to be more specific.

I read that part in the article, but was curious whether you actually tested
it. I have created reverse zones, but they were only for delegated reverse
zones for external data and not for internal, hence never found a reason to
test it or even use dynamic updates on such zones.

Thanks Jorge,

Ace

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Harrison said:
Hello:

I need to configure a subnetted reverse DNS zone on my Internet DNS
servers. I am running Windows 2003. I thought I did it correctly but
the the subnet is throwing me off. Can and one give me some advice
on this.

208.5.55.0 255.255.255.192

If this is the actual subnet, you will have to contact your ISP. This subnet
authority belongs to Sprintlink, which does not usually create PTRs, and
I've never known them to delegate. I'm not saying they won't delegate, I
just don't know any cases when they have, and I had several cases from other
users using Sprintlink. In the previous cases I've handled, Sprint just
created the PTRs.

The point of this is, you can create all the reverse lookup zones you want
for this subnet on your DNS servers, and public queries won't get to them
until the delegation is done. If you can get the delegation done, you must
use the exact zone name in the delegation, there are several ways to
delegate reverse zones.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]