Dynamic DNS not working after Subnet change.

tcrowley1999

Domain 2000
DNS server Windows 2003 (reverse lookup zone 10.10.1.x subnet)
DHCP is on the same server as DNS

Last week we changed our IP subnet from 10.10.1.0 / 24 to 10.10.0.0 /
16
Everything went ok.
Yesterday I noticed in the reverse lookup for DNS that we have a lot of
double entries for single IP address. I deleted these thinking that
DHCP would dynamically update them when user logged in again I was
wrong.
Because we changed the subnet I created another reverse lookup zone
10.10.x.x
I released the IP address of a client PC and deleted the DNS A record
and rebooted.
The PC got a different IP address created a DNS A record but no PTR
record.
Has any one got any ideas

Thanks
Tim

Kurt

How do you get te reverse zone to accept records beyond the scope of a /24?
I tried creating a reverse zone for 10.10.0.0, but when I try to add a
record, it only allows me to modify the last octet. Not that your problem is
related, I'm probably just too dumb to figure it out. But I'd really like to
know one way or the other.

Thanks,

....kurt

tcrowley1999

I don't know if what I did is right.
I created a reverse zone 10.10 (left the 3rd octave blank)
I'm able to manually create records but not dynamically

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
I don't know if what I did is right.
I created a reverse zone 10.10 (left the 3rd octave blank)
I'm able to manually create records but not dynamically

As long as the machines are ONLY set to use your internal DNS servers that
host the zone, and the reverse zone is created with the same subnet the
client is set to, then it will auto update, that is if you also allowed
updates. It will actually create subfolders under the 10.10.x.x zone for
each. So if you have a client using 10.10.222.54, then a subfolder under the
10.10.x.x zone wil be created called '222', and under that, you will see
10.10.222.54 and the workstation name.

When you create a zone, by default updates are disabled. If you are mixing
internal and external (ISP's or router's) DNS addresses, then no telling
what will happen with this or with AD. As a friendly reminder, the cardinal
basic rule is to only use the internal DNS. You can configure a forwarder
for more efficient internet resolution if you like.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...