Restoring XP image fails with ghost

Chad

I'm sure this would work with a single partition XP
computer but since XP doesn't work all that well, i need
other parititons and other operating systems (such as 98 to
make old programs i have purchased still work for me and my
customers), but i have a multi partition system 1 is
FAT(98boot), 2 is FAT32, 3 is FAT32, 4 is NTFS(xpboot) and
it works ok. i can boot 98 and xp. but when i try to back
it up with ghost and restore it, instead of getting the
weclome screen and my desktop, i get a nice "ad" screen
with a logo saying microsoft windows xp "the operating
sytem the doesn't work". well it doesn't say that "the
opterating system that doesn't work but you get the
picture. I've tried booting with the XP flooppy and it
says it can't find a file in c:\windows\system32 (when it's
there). I've tried safe mode, debug mode, any mode in the
F8 screen adn i still get the failure to get to the desktop
and the microsoft XP "AD" light blue screen, that doesn't
really make me want to buy it but it's too late i guess.

I also checked out the c:\windows\setupapi.log after
booting failed from the restored partiton, and i see
messages very similar to this user who had the problem back
in 2001, it looks like windows thinks the C: drive is the
G: drive (H: drive in my case) and can't find anything. Is
there anyway to tell windows that the 4th partition is the
C: drive (it worked when i installed everything, but after
restoring windows xp is cluless.

Thanks in advance for any info. Ghost support only said to
use sysprep, i'm affraid to go back to an "original"
configuration every time i backup if that is the solution,
i'm hopeing there is a more elegant one. My boot.ini
file::::::::::::::

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Here's text of an old message with someone with the saem
problem i'm including:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

From: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
Subject: Replacing harddrive in XP
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2001-09-19 09:18:42 PST

I have XP running on a 20GB Seagate harddrive that I want
to move over to a
new 40GB IBM Deskstar drive - IC35L040AVER07-0. I used
Norton Ghost 2002 to
copy the partition over to the new drive sucessfully. The
drive functions ok
as the master drive on the secondary IDE channel as drive G:.

However, when I remove the old 20 GB harddrive connect the
new 40 GB drive to
the primary IDE channel and tried to boot the system pauses
at the blue
"Microsoft Windows XP" screen just before the login prompt.
The problem seems
to be with the signing of the IBM harddrive driver. See
partial log dump
below.

Is there a better way to replace a harddrive? Please help.

chris

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s):
ide\diskic35l040aver07-0________________________er4oa44a,
ide\ic35l040aver07-0________________________er4oa44a,
ide\diskic35l040aver07-0________________________,
ic35l040aver07-0________________________er4oa44a,gendisk
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): gendisk
#-198 Command line processed: G:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#W384 "java.PNF" migrate: Windows directory changed from
"C:\WINDOWS" to
"G:\WINDOWS".
#W384 "disk.PNF" migrate: Windows directory changed from
"C:\WINDOWS" to
"G:\WINDOWS".
#I022 Found "GenDisk" in G:\WINDOWS\inf\disk.inf; Device:
"Disk drive";
Driver: "Disk drive"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg:
"(Standard disk drives)";
Section name: "disk_install".
#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000004
to 0x00008004.
#I023 Actual install section: [disk_install.NT]. Rank:
0x00008004. Effective
driver date: 07/01/2001.
#E358 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file
"G:\WINDOWS\System32\StorProp.Dll" for driver
"IC35L040AVER07-0" blocked
(server install). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was
present in the subject.
Windows could not load the installer for DiskDrive. Contact
your hardware
vendor for assistance. Error 0x800b0100: No signature was
present in the
subject.

Richard

I had the same sort of problem after restoring my XP D drive but using
Drive image 7.

I found two solutions that worked for my set up and are worth a try.
If you have an image of your C drive created BEFORE you restored your XP
drive. Restore C drive, reboot and all should be well.

Otherwise make a systems file boot floppy for XP. This should contain,
Bootini,NTLDR and Ntdetect files.
Boot from the floppy and XP should be found and load.

Richard.

..

From: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2001-09-19 09:18:42 PST

[...]

Thanks for the input but that wouldn't have helped me
because my XP C drive was on the 4th partiton (1rst
partition when booting from 98), i found out what it was
by trial and error and accident. Windows XP requires you
(after a restore) to set the active partition to the drive
you are booting. Once i changed the active partition to

From: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2001-09-19 09:18:42 PST

[...]

.

Chad

I wanted to make sure i replied to this issue (i can't use
the support.microsoft.com site to check if i've posted
already) no search engine?

anyways i resolved this by just making sure XP had the
active partition flag set. It needs to do this once only,
after it boots successfully you can switch the active
partition flag to other parititons that need it more (like
win98. Then i got xp to boot perfectly after the restore,
note xp is on my 4th partition so this problem may not
happen if xp was the 1rst.

From: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware