Resource Kit?

S

Scott McDonald

Is there a resource kit for XP? Our developer here has something in an access data base that the entire company uses that in Windows 2000 required the resource kit to be installed on users machine for the common dialog (not sure why, I'm not the developer).

We've been migrating to XP and he's telling me it's needed for XP, but I can't find it.

D

David H. Lipman

I use the Win2K Resource Kit with WinXP. No problems noted so far. However, I can NOT see
a reason to install the entire utility suite on all platforms. If "something" requires a
utility or two from the kit, I suggest pushing what is required to the workstation(s) in
question. Either that or map a drive letter to the Resource Kit utility and add the mapped
drive to the search path of the workstation(s) that require it. The latter is what I do.
Drive "X:" is a utility drive and many of the Resource Kit utilities are located there.
Drive "X:" is in all our Domain's search path so all workstations can take advantage of the
utilities.

Dave

Is there a resource kit for XP? Our developer here has something in an access data base that
the entire company uses that in Windows 2000 required the resource kit to be installed on
users machine for the common dialog (not sure why, I'm not the developer).

We've been migrating to XP and he's telling me it's needed for XP, but I can't find it.

M

Mike Kolitz

The resource kit - as far as I know - shouldn't have any enhancements to the
common dialogs. If it did, they wouldn't be common ;)

Do you know which file you need specifically?

You can download the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit tools instead, as
they're slightly newer and have a few additional tools added.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

--
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
MS-MVP - Windows Setup / Deployment

Is there a resource kit for XP? Our developer here has something in an
access data base that the entire company uses that in Windows 2000 required
the resource kit to be installed on users machine for the common dialog (not
sure why, I'm not the developer).

We've been migrating to XP and he's telling me it's needed for XP, but I
can't find it.

Ask a Question