Resizing partitions/volumes

Hi all
Hopefully an easy one for you...

“I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three separate physical
drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk (60GB drive
partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this volume can
be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic disk. The
other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up as a
single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.

I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message that
the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a basic disk.
Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am paranoid
about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on those drives.

I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS so that
I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as one drive
or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the data on the
two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total amount
of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing the
mirroring/spanning of the drives)â€

Thanks for any help you can give
Regards
Davidt

Jason Tan

Hi David,

Thanks for posting!

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
article for your reference:

175761 Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175761

225551 Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551

314343 Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314343

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Resizing partitions/volumes
| Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Hi all
| Hopefully an easy one for you...
|
| “I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three separate
physical
| drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk (60GB
drive
| partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this volume
can
| be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic disk.
The
| other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up as a
| single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.
|
| I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message that
| the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a basic
disk.
| Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am paranoid
| about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on those
drives.

| I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS so
that
| I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as one
drive
| or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the data on
the
| two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total
amount
| of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing the
| mirroring/spanning of the drives)â€
|
| Thanks for any help you can give
| Regards
| Davidt

Hi Jason
Thanks for the links but in all honesty someone answering with a yes or no
answer would of been more helpful as I already had most of the info that you
gave me in those URL's (ok, I admit I should of said that I already had
looked at those articles so my apologies) I just wasnt sure whether I could
safely use something like partition magic or some other way round being able
to extend the volume (boot drive) without either losing the other spanned
volume or completely breaking something else...

Thanks anyway

Regards
David Thomas

Jason Tan

Hello David,

Thank you for your update!

Regarding the questions, you'd like to extend system/boot partition. It is
recommended that there is no Windows built in method to expand boot
partition.

Techinically, the configuration information of the dynamic disks is mainly
saved in the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) database, which is a private region
of the disk. Therefore you could not safely format system/boot partition.
It could cause that critical data lost and even new system cannot recognize
the dynamic volume.

So, please make sure everything is backed up beforehand. Also, it is good
to back up the existing data safely with NTbackup or some third party tool
to tape or other media.

This recommendation is important, because after you delete the disk and
volume records from the remaining dynamic disk's LDM database, you may be
unable to recover it back.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Resizing partitions/volumes
| Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:58:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Hi Jason
| Thanks for the links but in all honesty someone answering with a yes or
no
| answer would of been more helpful as I already had most of the info that
you
| gave me in those URL's (ok, I admit I should of said that I already had
| looked at those articles so my apologies) I just wasnt sure whether I
could
| safely use something like partition magic or some other way round being
able
| to extend the volume (boot drive) without either losing the other spanned
| volume or completely breaking something else...
|
| Thanks anyway
|
| Regards
| David Thomas
|

| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi David,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
| > article for your reference:
| >
| > 175761 Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175761
| >
| > 225551 Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic
Disks
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551
| >
| > 314343 Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314343
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Resizing partitions/volumes
| > | Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16:03 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > |
| > | Hi all
| > | Hopefully an easy one for you...
| > |
| > | “I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three
separate
| > physical
| > | drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk
(60GB
| > drive
| > | partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this
volume
| > can
| > | be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic
disk.
| > The
| > | other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up
as a
| > | single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.
| > |
| > | I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message
that
| > | the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a
basic
| > disk.
| > | Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am
paranoid
| > | about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on
those
| > drives.
| > |
| > | I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS
so
| > that
| > | I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as
one
| > drive
| > | or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the
data on
| > the
| > | two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total
| > amount
| > | of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing
the
| > | mirroring/spanning of the drives)â€Â
| > |
| > | Thanks for any help you can give