Reset S.M.A.R.T. data?

Reaction score
People fail to realise a defective drive will always be marked again as defective by S.M.A.R.T. untill the error is fixed.

This same people did not notice the fact nobody here ever asked to reset spin up times or power on hours. All we want to do is tell the smart disk he can be cool and watch how he behaves from now on, if the error is real it will appear back again. If doesn't.. don't waste your time, Milano, worrying about those wasted beers!!

:cheers:

Reaction score
Goddam, The replies are somewhat paranoid!

I have 4 HDD fitted. Two reported errors a while back which after some investigation turned out to be bad sata leads.

I replaced with good ones and no additional errors but I still get warnings up every time I check the HDDs from the former errors mentioned.

Would love to reset the errors. Zero intention of reselling on eGay. I Like my large obnoxious PC the way it is.

Sometimes people just want to reset the errors so that they can monitor more effectively, or be sure of no new errors. Surely we don't need to verbally bully them???

BTW first post and wkd forum :D

Reaction score
My Maxtor started reporting the S.M.A.R.T. error at boot. SeaTools, HD Tune Pro, and HDD Regenerator all reported the drive as ok.
smartmontools will disable S.M.A.R.T., but at restart its turned on again. There's no option in the bios to disable it. Very frustrating to have to hit 'F2' everytime I restart the computer.
As a diagnostic tool, there ought to be an option to disable S.M.A.R.T., or AT LEAST to reset it. I have all my files on another drive, so its pointless to have to keep seeing the error.
If anyone knows a way to disable it, please let me know. I get no help from google or maxtor/seagate.

Reaction score
Hi - Found this old post by Googling

I agree that resetting SMART values to stop having to press F1 for each boot is a valid reason.
I was getting terrible smart values that claimed my HDD was !%!
I bought a new HDD but cloning the HDD with Acronis wouldn't work until I did a chkdsk [drive] /r - to do that I booted from another HDD so the suspect HDD was unmounted.
previously when doing chkdsks I used the /f switch.
After booting from the suspect drive after the chkdsk /r the SMART values became passable but not perfect. I got rid of the annoying F1 boot prompt from the BIOS.
So chkdsk /r may be a way of silencing HDD bad sectors causing SMART prompts.
Ridicule is not helpful. What may appear to be a stupid question or answer may actually be intelligent. Underestimating intelligence and ridiculing could be a sign of someone too quick too conclude. Cheers!

Reaction score
I found this forum while looking for a way to reset the smart table on a DiamondMax 23 250GB SATA drive. This drive never gave any problems until I installed DriveSitter Pro & I started getting “imminent failure” warnings.
I read all the posts but being stubborn I carried on searching & eventually found a forum about a
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA drive with a firmware bug & a method for reviving it to recover the data.

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/457286-seagate-bricked-firmware-drive-fix-pics.html

Pages 1 & 19 of this forum give step by step walk throughs.
Part of this fix is to reset the smart table

I found a better explanation of the fault and hardware & programming method at this site.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

The part where the PCB is detached from the drive is not necessary for resetting the smart table.

I chose an RS232 to TTL adapter & made a cable to connect to the serial socket on the drive.
I connected the drive to a SATA power lead inside my PC & left the data lead disconnected.
I used my home made 3-wire cable to connect the ground, TX & RX of the adapter to the serial socket on the drive & connected the adapter to an RS232 socket on my PC.

I then booted my PC, when windows finished booting I applied power to the adapter & started HyperTerminal. I used the instructions on the msfn thread to set-up HyperTerminal.
I then used the commands: -
Ctrl+Z this starts a session
And saw the prompt
F3 T>
I then entered
/1 (enter) this enters level 1 (memory control commands)
And the prompt changed to
F3 1>
I then entered
N1 (enter) this resets the smart table
And saw
Smart table reset successful

I then exited HyperTerminal & shut down my PC, then reconnected the harddrive in the normal way.

I used HD Tune Pro to take a snapshot of the smart table before & after so I could compare.
I have definitely reset the table & I no longer get “imminent failure” warnings.
I will now monitor this drive very closely for a few weeks to see if the warnings come back.

I also found a file explaining a lot of Seagate diagnostic commands.

http://files.hddguru.com/download/Datasheets/Seagate/Seagate Diagnostic RS-232 Port/

I must stress this method is for Seagate SATA drives but it makes me think there may be possibilities for other drives. Unfortunately I don’t have any other redundant drives to experiment with but I hope this information may be of use to others wanting to reset smart tables.

:D

Reaction score
Thanks for your post Strider - I will check it all out. Regards Jim:)
i look forward to reading your comments, it would be interesting if someone could expand on this to include other manufacturers drives & maybe even PATA drives. :user:

Reaction score
I love these forums ! Right first things first S.M.A.R.T. is there for a reason ! it help you in times to tell you that the hdd is about to fail (CAPUT) die dead its is rare for S.M.A.R.T to be wrong ! (unless) its a seagate drive) lol heres a little help for instead of trolling the internet for rubbish programs and stupidty saying liek put it in a fridge just back up your files and sling it in the bin yes you can reset smart but why would you want to ? only a plank would do it just because you reset it it doesnt mean that data storage is safe remember smart is there to help you wasnt so long ago poeple was ****ing and moaning over their hdds fail without any warning now you all moan over getting the warning so i leave you with this ( S.M.A.R.T. TRPPIED) ??? back up your files and slings it !!! just remember selling a modded drive to hide its smart data on sites is a criminal offence in most countries got it yet ???? :cheers:

Reaction score
I love these forums ! Right first things first S.M.A.R.T. is there for a reason ! it help you in times to tell you that the hdd is about to fail (CAPUT) die dead its is rare for S.M.A.R.T to be wrong ! (unless) its a seagate drive) lol heres a little help for instead of trolling the internet for rubbish programs and stupidty saying liek put it in a fridge just back up your files and sling it in the bin yes you can reset smart but why would you want to ? only a plank would do it just because you reset it it doesnt mean that data storage is safe remember smart is there to help you wasnt so long ago poeple was ****ing and moaning over their hdds fail without any warning now you all moan over getting the warning so i leave you with this ( S.M.A.R.T. TRPPIED) ??? back up your files and slings it !!! just remember selling a modded drive to hide its smart data on sites is a criminal offence in most countries got it yet ???? :cheers:
teleport i fully understand S.M.A.R.T is there for a reason, but from my experience nothing is perfect. it seems to me that SMART has 2 parts, the first part reads all the hard drive sensors and stores the data in a database, the second part presents that data to the user in a form that can be understood by mere humans.
Other programs can access that database and make changes, the second part of SMART will then present that data as if it was its own. you ask why would anyone want to reset SMART the answer in my case is because i believe Drive sitter pro caused the data to be changed.
It is now 4 months since i reset SMART, the drive is in regular use for editing video files and constantly checked by several drive monitor programs(not Drive sitter pro).
I do not store data on this drive but it has shown no problems or SMART errors.

I am not moaning about SMART, just passing on information i found on the NET, i don't want to sell my drive, but equally i don't want to sling a drive that has no faults.
If a program on my computer fails to work, before slinging the drive or the PC i will reinstall the program and test it.:user:

Ask a Question