resall XP

I just reciently bought XP Pro and want to put it on my computer but, was
wondering if I can pay to have the XP Home Ed I have now reset to use on a
different computer? I do have two licences for the one disk I have as I have
two computers, but wondered if I can buy an extra licence to put it on a
third computer.

Ron Martell

spankyjo54 said:
I just reciently bought XP Pro and want to put it on my computer but, was
wondering if I can pay to have the XP Home Ed I have now reset to use on a
different computer? I do have two licences for the one disk I have as I have
two computers, but wondered if I can buy an extra licence to put it on a
third computer.

You will have to purchase an additional license from Microsoft, and
the cost of that license will likely be more than what you would pay
for an additional copy of XP Home at a major retailer.

Windows XP license keys are encoded so as to uniquely identify:
- Edition (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet PC)
- Version (OEM, Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, Volume License,
etc.)
- Language (English, French, Chinese, etc etc)

Unless both the license key and the installation CD match in all 3
aspects they will not work together and any installation attempt will
fail.

Also you should be aware that licenses for OEM versions of Windows XP
(ones that come bundled/preinstalled on a new computer) are
permanently locked to the first computer that they are installed on
and cannot be legitimately transferred to another computer under any
circumstances, even if the original computer is lost, stolen, scrapped
or destroyed.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Ken Blake, MVP

spankyjo54 said:
I just reciently bought XP Pro and want to put it on my computer
but, was wondering if I can pay to have the XP Home Ed I have now
reset to use on a different computer?

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to move XP Home from one computer to
another?

If so, assuming that it's a retail version, you don't have to pay anything.
Doing so is perfectly acceptable, and within the terms of the license,
without any fee at all.

However, if it's an OEM version you may not do it at all. The EULA forbids
it, and it's not a question of paying.

On the other hand, if you want to have a single copy of XP Home on both of
two different computers, and if yours is a retail version, not an OEM one,
you can buy extra licenses (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp). But it's not
generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft sells additional
licenses at only a small savings over the list price. You're almost
certainly better off just buying a complete second copy from a discount
source.

Michel Merlin

(Making a more visible title for Ken's very informative post. Otherwise people searching for "sell" or "reselling" or else wouldn't find it).

BTW I suggest everyone, at least MVPs, take care of building accurate titles in their messages, reflecting the particular message, not the thread (for the thread, there is already "OE > View > Current View > Group Messages by Conversation"). Please refrain from replying without thinking first - or instead of progressing you would start the too well known infinitely repeated sterile rants.

Paris, Tue 5 Sep 2006 11:53:10 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to move XP Home from one computer to another?

If so, assuming that it's a retail version, you don't have to pay anything. Doing so is perfectly acceptable, and within the terms of the license, without any fee at all.

However, if it's an OEM version you may not do it at all. The EULA forbids it, and it's not a question of paying.

On the other hand, if you want to have a single copy of XP Home on both of two different computers, and if yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, you can buy extra licenses (see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp). But it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete second copy from a discount source.

Please reply to the newsgroup

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
I just reciently bought XP Pro and want to put it on my computer but, was wondering if I can pay to have the XP Home Ed I have now reset to use on a different computer? I do have two licences for the one disk I have as I have two computers, but wondered if I can buy an extra licence to put it on a third computer.

Og

Michel Merlin:
1.) It is bad form to start a new thread in the middle of a thread.
2.) It is bad form to object to OP's spelling in the Subject line, only to
replace the Subject line with a misspelling of your own.
Steve

From: "spankyjo54" <[email protected]>

From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
[...]

I see you have a lot to learn - as hardly anyone ever reads or researches
before posting, and most haven't a clue, although they try their best, on
how to post the correct information to get a credible response, as they are
not IT people, they are users, who surf, email, play games and have fun on
the net and their computers. You also see, especially around big hotfix or
service pack releases the same post being made literally hundreds of times
each day, and the big point to realize, in IT, never make an assumption as
you will always assume wrong.
Lastly, top posting is also considered incorrent netique, but most of us
tolerate it, but even OE can be changed to bottom post, you just gotta know
where to change it.

Michel Merlin

{Bottom Posting - please jump to "Last Message" at bottom of this message (in Outlook Express, <Ctrl><Shift>"Last Message")}

============= Other Thread BEG =============

----- Message A1 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message A2 (links are clickable) -----

..----- Message A3 (links are clickable) -----

============= Other Thread END =============

----- Message 1 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 2 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 3 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 4 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 5 (links are clickable) -----

----- Intermediate Message 6 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 7 (links are clickable) -----

----- Message 8 (links are clickable) -----
[...]

* ............
Re: United States of America
* South of Canada
* North of Mexico
* Other parts of the United States of America are other places.
* ................

----- Message 9 (links are clickable) -----
I see you have a lot to learn - as hardly anyone ever reads or researches before posting, and most haven't a clue, although they try their best, on how to post the correct information to get a credible response, as they are not IT people, they are users, who surf, email, play games and have fun on the net and their computers. You also see, especially around big hotfix or service pack releases the same post being made literally hundreds of times each day, and the big point to realize, in IT, never make an assumption as you will always assume wrong.
Lastly, top posting is also considered incorrent netique, but most of us tolerate it, but even OE can be changed to bottom post, you just gotta know where to change it.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

Google is your Friend!
http://www.google.com

----- Last Message (links are clickable) -----
----- Message 10 (links are clickable) -----

« you have a lot to learn »

Yes I have, I always had for 6 decades - which made me pile up some quantity of knowledge - that I try to increase continuously, by still learning more. I hope you "have a lot to learn" as well.

« hardly anyone ever reads or researches before posting, and most
haven't a clue »

Poor opinion on others often denotes poor self baggage. Said Darwin: "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" (in modern words: arrogance more often denotes ignorance than knowledge). IOW: most people spend big time searching, reading, trying, learning, thinking; little time writing; still smaller time posting; so you heard little of them. OTOH, a few spend big time posting, hence little time thinking or learning; hence they don't understand the 1st category, hence they take them for still less knowledgeable than themselves; and of course they are the most visible: the less thought, the more presence. Of which your stance seems just trying to add another proof.

« never make an assumption as you will always assume wrong »

I am sure yourself often make assumptions, and sometimes assume right - just as everyone. The only difference is most people *know and admit* they are making assumptions - with the according high probability of failure.

« top posting is also considered incorrent netique »

Amusing. I switched to Top posting from Bottom posting (that was then the most used in CompuServe) just to please automatic programmed fanatics as yourself, in the times when they were imposing *Top* posting with just the same arguments - that it was the only efficient, the only good netiquette, etc.

Anyway, who can state what is "incorrent netique"? You? a 10 self-appointed guru assembly? Correct netiquette is rather defined by *acts* than words, by *the people* than a small body, official or not. And please open your eyes and look around you, what do you see the most in emails and news posts: bottom posting? or top posting?

Meanwhile see my 2 series of 5 messages on this:

- "The Failure of Indexing - and the odd necessity of recopying parent messages" and its 4 sub-messages
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...560c6/78324db151f9b4e1?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en
- "Top Posting better fits currrent weird situation (plain text, clickable links)" and "Bottom-Posting better if properly opening on Last Message (HTML, with internal Link to Last Message)" with their 4 sub-messages
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ce39c/f4c61ab2403d7a24?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en

« but even OE can be changed to bottom post, you just gotta know
where to change it »

Yes I remember OE can be set to put the included parent message above (or under) the being-composed body, but I didn't find it back right now (I never used it because I usually bottom-post only in HTML, where I can include an easy link to the Last Message). Which shows the main difference between both of us: in such case I tell the other where is the settings involved. And instead of hostily trying to force others to bend under my own preferences, I try to kindly adapt to theirs; here you can find a *really* bottom posting message - oppositely to yours (please compare messages' orders and easinesses to find and read). For me, netiquette is about being helpful, kind, useful, efficient, pleasant, easy, clear, tolerant, adaptative.

Paris, Wed 6 Sep 2006 10:14:50 +0200

Leythos

Actually, the message is almost impossible to read due to the lame
usenet client someone is using to reply with, due to the fact that the
post was not snipped, due to the fact that improperly formatted replies
are just hard to read.

Michel Merlin

I did my best to reply to "Admiral Q" clearly and complying with his preferences, while pleasing as far as possible to other readers. Sorry if I failed to make the result please you - in that case please ask him.

Please find here the same thread reposted in TOP posting - in hope to comply with what are (apparently) YOUR preferences.

Paris, Wed 6 Sep 2006 15:07:20 +0200

----- Message 11 (links are clickable) -----
From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Message: Sent: Wed 06 Sep 2006 11:44:46 GMT
Subject: Re: Here is a BOTTOM POSTING message