REQ: utility to replay keystrokes

Martin C.E.

Are there any good utilities out there for WinXP which will replay a
prerecorded series of keystrokes?

I find that I am using the same set of keystrokes over and over whenI
am cataloguing my binaries. I like to add a few characters to the
end of the file name if I like the track or image or movie or
whatever it is. And I might add a few extra characters if I
particularly like the track.

I would like to be able to go down a list of files and just press one
key or another and have that the file name changed to include my
suffix.

Does anyone know of a utility which will do this?

Martin C.E.

Ravi said:
Martin wrote:

MCE> Does anyone know of a utility which will do this?

www.windowspowerpro.com

It can do that and a lot more, but requires some learning.

Seems a bit too powerful for me. I want something which does mainly
automated keystrokes and that utility seems to do everything!

dadiOH

Martin said:
Are there any good utilities out there for WinXP which will replay a
prerecorded series of keystrokes?

I find that I am using the same set of keystrokes over and over
whenI am cataloguing my binaries. I like to add a few characters
to the end of the file name if I like the track or image or movie or
whatever it is. And I might add a few extra characters if I
particularly like the track.

I would like to be able to go down a list of files and just press
one key or another and have that the file name changed to include my
suffix.

Does anyone know of a utility which will do this?

This will do exactly what you want but I don't know if it will work on
XP...probably so but the installer would not, you'd have to install it
yourself, no big deal, see end of info.
_________________________

INFO:

MacroMaker
Free
No install (see end of page)
http://members.ij.net/anthonymathews/MacroMaker.htm

MacroMaker allows you automate most anything that you already do by hand.
MacroMaker was written more for the use of people who regularly use
computers and programmers rather than the casual PC user. Most anything you
know how to do by hand can be translated into a macro in MacroMaker.

The user can simulate a series of keystrokes, mouse events, play back
previous recordings of keystrokes and mouse events or execute some built-in
functions with just a keystroke. You can even store textual content from the
clipboard in internal MacroMaker buffers for later use.

In order to install MacroMaker you must have "Windows Installer 2.0
Redistributable" loaded on your machine. If the MacroMakerInst.msi file will
not execute on your machine, follow the links below to download the
appropriate version of the installer based upon the operating system you are
running. Follow Microsoft's instructions for installation of the installer
and after which try to execute the MacroMakerInst.msi file again. If you
still have no luck, click here for instructions on how to manually install
MacroMaker.

*************************************
To install MacroMaker by hand you need to create a directory.

Now download the following 2 files and save them in the directory you
created above.
Download MacroMaker executable
Download MacroMaker help file

MY NOTE:
1. Makes numerous registry entries when first run...best to monitor with
TotalUninstall.
2. Rename the help file to MACROMAKER1.0.3.1.HLP (or same version number as
..exe)
__________________________

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
Get it at http://www.gbronline.com/xico/
_________________________________

Ravi

Martin wrote:

MCE> Seems a bit too powerful for me. I want
MCE> something which does mainly
MCE> automated keystrokes and that utility seems to do everything!

Yeah, I suppose it is. I like having it around because when
I want something done - there's a high chance that PowerPro
will do it!

You can try this program here:

http://www.realitypoint.com/autokeys/using.htm

Somewhat hard to find download location:
ftp://ftp.realitypoint.com/AutoKeysSetup.exe (469 kb)

Susan Bugher

Martin said:
Are there any good utilities out there for WinXP which will replay a
prerecorded series of keystrokes?

I find that I am using the same set of keystrokes over and over whenI
am cataloguing my binaries. I like to add a few characters to the
end of the file name if I like the track or image or movie or
whatever it is. And I might add a few extra characters if I
particularly like the track.

I would like to be able to go down a list of files and just press one
key or another and have that the file name changed to include my
suffix.

Does anyone know of a utility which will do this?

Perhaps AutoIt:

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#A153

but . . .

IMO a file renamer may be the best choice for this task:

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003FILEUTILITIES.htm#FileRenamer

I use THE Rename. It includes options to add text to the suffix or
prefix of a file name. There are *many* good file renamers - if you
don't find the feature set you want in the first one - look at a few
more. :)

Susan

nethog

I would like to be able to go down a list of files and just press one
key or another and have that the file name changed to include my
suffix.

Does anyone know of a utility which will do this?

NOT EXACTLY what you are looking for but I do the same type of file
renaming and the utility I use can be found here.

http://fileutil.tripod.com/Rnameit.htm