Repost - Permission question

Adam Raff

Good Day,

We have a windows 2003 server with SP1. I have setup the company via
departments so that I can just add a department as a group for permissions
and so far it worked great. I now have to do something a little different
and it causing me some issues

I need to create a common folder with locked down directories as follows

Common folder - Everyone - Full
Common Data - Everyone -Read, Jane - Change control (removed inherit
rights from Parent)

Then create a folder called Template

Template Folder with the following rights Everyone - Read, Jane -
Change
Production - Everyone - Read, Jane - Change and Production -
Change
Traffic - Same as above but with Traffic with change
Creative - Same as above but with Creative with Change
QC - Same as above but with QC with Change

Note: I have removed the inherit rights from the parent folder from each of
template folders so that they do not inherit the parents rights

Now I create a directory called 2006 in the Common Data folder
2006 folder - This folder will inherit the rights from the Common Data
folder

So it looks something like this
Common Folder
Common Data
Template
2006

Now comes my problem, I now copy the Template folder which was in the Common
Data folder into the 2006 folder and it inherits the rights from the 2006
folder which is part of the Common data folder wiping out my new rights with
the parent rights.

Common Folder
Common Data
Template
2006
Template - which I can rename

Thus, now that I copied my creative folder which had change rights in the
Common Data folder. when I copy the folder into the 2006 folder it looses
those rights and just has Everyone - Read and Jane - Change rights.

Is there a way to stop this so that I can copy the template folder into the
2006 folder with out overwriting my new rights. (After playing I know I can
cut the template folder and that seems to keep the new permissions intacked
but I can not do this as I need to always create this folder with the
proper rights for the user.

My goal is to allow Jane who has change rights copy the template folder
into the 2006 folder then change the name to what ever. This way my
creative department can get into there folder with change but when they try
to get into lets say production they can read but can not change something.

Thanks for you help
Adam Raff

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

I think you can use robocopy or subinacl to arrange your permission.

Check following articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323275/

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91
-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en>

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Adam Raff

Thanks Vincent,
It gives me some ideas on how to do it. I am using Xcopy right now as a
batch file which works for now and it creates the directories the way I want
it. This may be a better program as I never used it before.

Adam Raff

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Glad to provide assistance.