Replying to inbox msg - goes to "sent mail" but never gets to addressee

Hula Baloo

I have a friend who sent me an email that contains a known spammer's
URL. My friend wanted to know if the email they rec'd was spam. When I
replied that it was, my reply went into my "Sent Items" folder, but the
addressee never got my reply. I tried forwarding it to my Yahoo ID and
the same thing happened (it went into "Sent Items" again, but never got
to my Yahoo inbox).
To determine if this was a Windows Mail problem, I went to my Webmail
(I'm using Comcast) and tried forwarding the same email (I leave all
incoming emails on the server for 30 days). Lo and behold this time the
email reached the addressee.
This proves that my problem lies in Windows Mail, since my Comcast
Webmail doesn't have this problem. I'm inclined to believe this is due
to some setting in Windows Mail, but am unable to find the setting in
spite of looking at account properties and tools options. Could someone
tell me what I need to change so I can reply and forward emails
containing spammer URLs via Windows Mail? TIA

Bruce Hagen

If a message appears in Sent Items, then it was successfully received by
your mail server and the problem lies from that point on. There is one
exception. E-mail scanning. It can fool WinMail into thinking it was sent
when it really wasn't.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You are jumping to an unwarranted conclusion.
Comcast's webmail server is not the same as their POP/SMTP server.
Therefore it is quite possible for one to be working and the other not.

It sounds like the message with the spammer's URL is being interdicted
as spam, either by your antivirus program or else by your SMTP server.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Hula Baloo" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce, Gary, thanks for the feedback. The problem's not with my AV
(I'm using the free AVG 9). I ran MSCONFIG and turned everything
related to AVG off, rebooted, and resent the subject e-mail. It never
got to the destination. I've already spent 75 minutes in online chat
with Comcast and got nowhere, but I guess I'll go back and try again.
Sigh! They did say it might be a "system error", but I got in a loop
with them asking me the same time-consuming questions over and over and
over,... Oh well, if at first you don't succeed,... :)

Bruce Hagen

Hula Baloo said:
Bruce, Gary, thanks for the feedback. The problem's not with my AV
(I'm using the free AVG 9). I ran MSCONFIG and turned everything
related to AVG off, rebooted, and resent the subject e-mail. It never
got to the destination. I've already spent 75 minutes in online chat
with Comcast and got nowhere, but I guess I'll go back and try again.
Sigh! They did say it might be a "system error", but I got in a loop
with them asking me the same time-consuming questions over and over and
over,... Oh well, if at first you don't succeed,... :)

From listening to other Comcast users, I get the impression that most of
their techs don't have a clue and probably aren't even told when there is
a server issue.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Echoing what Bruce said, Comcast support is near the top of the clueless list!

If you are able to send a message without that problem URL to that recipient,
but the same message with the URL included doesn't arrive, the only conclusion
is that a spam filter at either the sending mail server (Comcast) or at the
recipient's mail server is quietly dumping that message as spam.
Have the recipient check both the Junk folder in their email program and
also the Spam folder in their webmail.