Windows XP Repairing a WinXPP Installation

Reaction score
I have a corrupt Win XPP installation. I have tried to repair the OS from the original CD and during the setup I get the following message... mmc.exe failed to launch and The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). If I dismiss this message the installation continues and the PC restarts - the startup looks normal Starting up; Preparing Network Connections; Applying Computer Settings and the it goes to a blue screen with the mouse pointer (which moves OK). Have tried booting in Safe Mode but this doesn't work either. Any suggestions welcome!

edit (Ian): Thread cleaned up

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

TripleX has a point,

but it seems your hard drive may still have malware on it, as google suggest your error code is a "failed to initialize" so the malware has revoked privileges for users.

Can you get into windows and run any antivirus or spyware scans???

If so download, Superantispyware, its free and very good.

What antivirus/spyware do you use??

I had a hard drive that was badly infected and started a thread on here to get help, will try to find it as it has some good stuff in it.

Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
In answer to your quetion are you able to borrow an XP disc if so use the borrowed one and use your origonal key? as you have a corrupt disc installation.;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, I am unable to get the system started even in Safe Mode. I have 2 brand new XP Installation CD's and have tried both.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay,

Have you tried a fresh install???

As it does seem like the permissions have been changed so its going to be impossible to repair the current installation of XP.

It looks like its going to need reformatting and the partition deleting.

Only other thing i can suggest before reformatting is that you plug it into another PC and see if you can scan it with an antivirus/spyware from there, maybe save some files on it if you need to.

Reaction score
No, I was trying to avoid a fresh install as I didn't want to have to re-install apps, data etc but appreciate that may be the only option. Will try mounting the HD on another PC and virus scanning it. Thanks for your help.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You're welcome, let us know how you get on, as its useful to know if something gets solved or not.

Reaction score
Managed to get the drive mounted externally and ran anti-spyware software which picked up and fixed some problems but Win still wouldn't launch. Re-formatted and re-installed - yuk.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Ask a Question