REMOVING Symantec Corporate

Reaction score
Based on your good advice :thumb: , I decided to replace Symantec hog with Anti Vir. Like it so far. But am having trouble getting rids of the old beast :( . Did uninstall, and that got some of it. But it keeps telling me I don't have "priviledges" and the dreaded rtvscan.exe file is still running :wall: . I can't Alt-Ctrl-Del stop it, can't delete the file, can't uninstall :wall: :wall: . Any tips on how to scrag the pig?

Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's not like a virus if you set it up right.

I have it mass deployed across a network and it wont allow an uninstall unless your classed as a "Domain Admin" on the network, of which only i am.

There is ways and means of removing it, but i can't remember off the top of my head, Google is your friend, but that's what Corporate is for, mass network deployment of an Antivirus solution.

Reaction score
Thanks, Adywebb, for the advice to check the Symantec web site for uninstall instructions. I realized that my install was originally set up by the "Domain Admin" like cImrie suggests, and with passwords. Per Symantec, there is only one way to completely uninstall. It had to be done manually (and laboriously!) through a hundred or so registry deletions. Symantec has a set by step set of instructions that were easy to follow (see below) but VERY tedious. So it is basically all gone now. One residue is that for some reason when I right click on certain desktop icons, a Symantec Antivirus installer starts up, even though there is no Symantec stuff left on the machine. Haven't figured out how to disable that yet.

Thanks again for help.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002031914291648

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Symantec has a removal tool for Corporate versions of their software. It's different than the tool that's available to the general public for removing home editions of it's software.

You have to contact them to get it.

Ask a Question