Removing spaces between words in MS Word

BrendanC

I download a lot of docs that require reformatting to remove a lot of spaces
between words; then this is cut & paste via word into our database.

Is there an automated way to remove spaces between words? I have found a
macro to remove leading white space but not spaces between words (to leave
only one space between each word).

Note: the spaces b/w each word may vary. Here is an example of the text
before and after 'conversion' that is required:

'This has too many variable spaces
between words'

Desired result:

'This has too many variable spaces between words'

Thanks!
Brendan

Character

BrendanC said:
I download a lot of docs that require reformatting to remove a lot of spaces
between words; then this is cut & paste via word into our database.

Is there an automated way to remove spaces between words? I have found a
macro to remove leading white space but not spaces between words (to leave
only one space between each word).

Note: the spaces b/w each word may vary. Here is an example of the text
before and after 'conversion' that is required:

'This has too many variable spaces
between words'

Desired result:

'This has too many variable spaces between words'

Thanks!
Brendan

Use Find/Replace - Find ^w and replace with a single space. This will
eliminate all instances of multiple spaces (two or more) with single
spaces.

- Character

BrendanC

Thanks.. seems to help.. but I needed to run the find/replace several times,
as each time it only removed several spaces...
Am I doing soemthing wrong?

confirming: ^w is CONTROL W.. select this in find/replace

I'm running Word 2003.

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

No, that's how the find and replace method works. You repeat as
many times as needed until 'find' finds nothing to replace.

BrendanC

Thanks!

Brendan

BrendanC said:
Thanks.. seems to help.. but I needed to run the find/replace several times,
as each time it only removed several spaces...
Am I doing soemthing wrong?

confirming: ^w is CONTROL W.. select this in find/replace

No, it's the character sequence ^ (shift-6) followed by w

Select 'replace all'

and they should all go away at once.

I just tried it, also in Word 2003, and that's what it did for me.
It's possible that your documents have some attribute(s) that my test
document didn't.

- Character

Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
BrendanC wrote:
> I download a lot of docs that require reformatting to remove a lot of spaces
> between words; then this is cut & paste via word into our database.
>
> Is there an automated way to remove spaces between words? I have found a
> macro to remove leading white space but not spaces between words (to leave
> only one space between each word).
>
> Note: the spaces b/w each word may vary. Here is an example of the text
> before and after 'conversion' that is required:
>
> 'This has too many variable spaces
> between words'
>
> Desired result:
>
> 'This has too many variable spaces between words'
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan

Use Find/Replace - Find ^w and replace with a single space. This will
eliminate all instances of multiple spaces (two or more) with single
spaces.

- Character

Is there a code to do so?

What I wanted is a code that can
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT]Capitalize selected words
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT]Remove spaces between them

Such that, for example, the “National spatial plan of zone one” will lock like:

NationalSpatialPlanOfZoneOne

Thanks

Best

Jamal