Removing ALL the sites from the Restricted Sites Zone

Jack Ritter

Here's my system:

Windows XP Home Ed, Version 2002, Ser. Pack 2,
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (eg, SP2),
(running on a Dell Dimension DIM9100)

I want to remove ALL the sites on the site list for the "Restricted Sites" Zone.
After looking thru many an Inet faq/help/Knowledge Base/Blog, it seems that the only way
to remove entries from this list is:

from IE, click:
Tools/Internet-Options/Security tab/click-hilite red "Restricted Sites" Icon/"Sites..." box.

You're then presented with a scroll box of internet sites/domains. To remove, you must hilite
a single site, then click on "Remove" box. Yes, you can repeatedly click on the Remove box, and
ea click removes the next (hilited) entry in list. Problem is, I have MANY entries on the list
(> 1000). There's no way to "select all", or even a block (using Ctrl/Shift/Alt... w/ mouse).

It doesn't matter what the Security Level is for the Restricted Sites Zone (low, medium-low,
medium, hi, well-done, jumbo..) all of which I've tried via the "Custom Level..." box.

Not even in all the IT/System Administrator documentation have I found a way (the Sys Admin can
only allow/disallow the entire ability to add or remove any site, allow/disallow the setting
of security levels for a given zone, etc.) And I'm not even a Sys Admin (I dont think, it's just
me and my single XP Home system). So, any suggestions?

Jack C. Ritter

(e-mail address removed)

Alan Edwards

You may find posting with some sort of attachment will limit your
answers, so perhaps you would consider plain text?

They are held in the Registry and can be deleted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains
(I don't use them so mine is empty)

or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

Read here for a bit more information:

Description of IE Security Zones Registry Entries [182569]
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=182569

....Alan

Don Varnau

Hi,
Go to http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm Look for "To remove all the
sites listed in the Restricted Zone" Note that DelDomains.inf will clear out
Trusted Sites and other zones.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]