Remove Windows Recovery Console

miss-information

Upgraded from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ultimate. Vista is running good so I
deleted the Windows.old folder. Now I want to remove the Windows Recovery
Console, that I installed in XP. I found the instructions for removal,
deleting the Cmdcons folder and the file Cmldr and editing Boot.ini in
Notepad to remove the entry for the Recovery Console:
C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons. My
question is about the Boot Configuration Data file. What do I need to edit,
if anything, in BCDEDIT.exe?

mi

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Try using MsConfig to remove entries rather than running bcdedit.
Start- Run-msconfig.
Choose the boot tab.
highlight the entry you wish to remove, and click the delete button.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "miss-information" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Remove Windows Recovery Console
|>Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:21:45 -0600
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|>Upgraded from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ultimate. Vista is running good so I
|>deleted the Windows.old folder. Now I want to remove the Windows
Recovery
|>Console, that I installed in XP. I found the instructions for removal,
|>deleting the Cmdcons folder and the file Cmldr and editing Boot.ini in
|>Notepad to remove the entry for the Recovery Console:
|>C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons. My
|>question is about the Boot Configuration Data file. What do I need to
edit,
|>if anything, in BCDEDIT.exe?
|>
|>mi

miss-information

Under "Boot" in msconfig one line is listed > Microsoft Windows Vista
(C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS. < When I boot the PC and get to the
window that list boot options the choices listed are Windows Vista > Windows
Recovery Console >. From bcdedit.exe, beside the normal boot configuration,
the following is shown:

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------------
identifier <ntldr>
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

Which is why I wanted conformation before doing any edits.

mi

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Try using MsConfig to remove entries rather than running bcdedit.
Start- Run-msconfig.
Choose the boot tab.
highlight the entry you wish to remove, and click the delete button.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Hmm.
OK open and elevated cmd prompt and run:

bcdedit /delete {ntldr} /f

This is the syntax for the delete command for bcdedit. The last entry in
this is the example of the above command.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /delete /?

This command deletes an entry from the boot configuration data store.

bcdedit [/store <filename>] /delete <id> [/f] [/cleanup | /nocleanup]

<filename> Specifies the store to be used. If this option is not
specified, the system store is used. For more
information,
run "bcdedit /? store".

<id> Specifies the identifier of the boot entry that you
want to
delete. For more information about identifiers,
run "bcdedit /? ID".

/f Deletes the specified entry. Without this option,
Bcdedit
will not delete any entries that have a well-known
identifier.

/cleanup Deletes the specified entry and removes the entry from
the
display order. Any other references to the entry being
deleted will also be removed from the store. When
deleting
an OS loader entry, the associated resume from
hibernation
entry is also deleted if it is not referenced by any
other
OS loaders. This option is assumed unless /nocleanup is
specified.

/nocleanup Deletes the specified entry without removing the entry
from
the display order.

Examples:

The following command deletes the specified operating system entry from the
store and removes the entry from the display order:

bcdedit /delete {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71}

The following command deletes the specified operating system entry from the
store and removes the entry from the display order:

bcdedit /delete {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} /cleanup

The following command deletes the specified operating system entry from the
store without removing the entry from the display order:

bcdedit /delete {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} /nocleanup

The following command deletes the NTLDR based OS loader entry from the
store:

bcdedit /delete {ntldr} /f
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "miss-information" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Remove Windows Recovery Console
|>Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:23:53 -0600
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|>Under "Boot" in msconfig one line is listed > Microsoft Windows Vista
|>(C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS. < When I boot the PC and get to
the
|>window that list boot options the choices listed are Windows Vista >
Windows
|>Recovery Console >. From bcdedit.exe, beside the normal boot
configuration,
|>the following is shown:
|>
|>Windows Legacy OS Loader
|>------------------------------
|>identifier <ntldr>
|>device partition=C:
|>path \ntldr
|>description Earlier Version of Windows
|>
|>Which is why I wanted conformation before doing any edits.
|>
|>mi
|>

|>> Hello,
|>> Try using MsConfig to remove entries rather than running bcdedit.
|>> Start- Run-msconfig.
|>> Choose the boot tab.
|>> highlight the entry you wish to remove, and click the delete button.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>> Recovery
|>> My
|>> edit,

I am interested in the opposite. I used have the XP SP 2 recovery console on
my HDDD and available in the boot menu. How can I do the same with vista
recovery console and have that on the Hard drive too.

Rock

Robert said:
I am interested in the opposite. I used have the XP SP 2 recovery console
on
my HDDD and available in the boot menu. How can I do the same with vista
recovery console and have that on the Hard drive too.

There is no recovery console in Vista. There is a Windows Repair
Environment (WRE) that is accessed by booting the Vista DVD. This KB
article, as an example, gives you info on how to access the WRE and some of
the tools on it.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us