Remove ser. no. label on CPU?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just about to upgrade daughter's computer to 64 Bit.

The Athlon 64 3200 is an OEM chip and has a sticker with the serial number stuck right across the top of it.

I'm wondering if I remove the sticker whether I'll void the warranty or not?

I figure the sticker will hamper the heat transfer to heatsink.

Have any of you guys removed sticker? Left it there? Heat transfer Ok if left in place?

Very much a budget upgrade, I'm using mostly old components, but I'll be putting the Athlon 64 3200 into an Asrock dual SATA board, which will take a 9800 Pro vid card in it's AGP slot and 2 x 256Mb Hynix PC3200 RAM.

The cooler will be a Gigabyte 3D Pro.

Only games she plays are Sims, Sims 2 and Theme Hospital so this machine doesn't have to be a monster.

I'll let you all know how the board performs.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd take it off, for the thermal paste/pad to work effectively it has to come in contact with as much of the chips surface as possible, if you keep the sticker safe i cant see why they would void the warranty

Reaction score
Yea... I think I would remove the sticker and place it somewhere safe... the the inside of the removable panel..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, pretty much what I thought as well - good to get a second opinion or two :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I didnt have a sticker across my AMD64 so i dont think there put on at factory like that ^^. Take it off, whats the worst that can happen? (ask Dr.Pepper)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The Athlon 64 3200 is an OEM chip and has a sticker with the serial number stuck right across the top of it.
HUH! ... is that an 'official' AMD sticker or something the 'store' put on ... really daft if it was AMD ... more likely the store lazily stuck their sticker because it was easy to do.

Anyway, you should remove it. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Anyway, you should remove it. :thumb:

I have.

Now, I just trying to figure out how to put this bloody clip on... :mad:

It sure is a tight fit, this all new to me :confused:

In the morning I think, yes, in the morning..... ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It has a leaver ... does it not? ;)

Show us a pic ...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It has a leaver ... does it not? ;)

Show us a pic ...

Yep, it got a lever.

Nah, don't worry, I'll suss it, I did manage to get that FOP16 on that time, hehe ;)

I can see how it's meant to go, but when I push lever down, it goes lop sided and three holes won't align. Looks like some more bendy persuasion needed with screwdriver.

It'll all look better in the morning :D

Reaction score
telll you what...the Sempron 2600 HSF onto that Asus board was a right bugger to do!

Really thought i was going to break something with the force i had to use... and the lever didnt appear to do anything!

now its on i ran WCG on it 24/7 and the temperature didnt go higher than 33 degrees!! Thats like COLD!

Its packed up ready for collection now, so cant crunch on it :(

Good luck flops

Ask a Question