Remote destop Vista premium?

Q

quy nguyen

I try to enable remote desktop for my computer running windows Vista home premium. I could not find it? Do you know how to enable it? I thought Windows Vista does not have this function. Thanks

S

steve sonsino

Home premium has only the remote desktop client...

you need business or ultimate for it to have the remote desktop server in order to control that.

Of course there is another open source solution that is used on a vast array of applications , its called VNC. A good and free version is www.ultravnc.com

It has both a server AND a viewer (client) so you have to install this on both machines.

Some computer illiterate people in here claim that open source is not good. They have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I try to enable remote desktop for my computer running windows Vista home premium. I could not find it? Do you know how to enable it? I thought Windows Vista does not have this function. Thanks

S

steve sonsino

you need business or ultimate for it to have the remote desktop server in order to control that.

Of course there is another open source solution that is used on a vast array of applications , its called VNC. A good and free version is www.ultravnc.com

It has both a server AND a viewer (client) so you have to install this on both machines.

Some computer illiterate people in here claim that open source is not good. They have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

S

steve sonsino

G

Remote desktop is part of Vista Premium.
All Programs->accessories->Remote Desktop connection.

R

Rick Rogers

Hi quy nguyen,

The ability to host a remote desktop session is only available in Business
or Ultimate. A Home Premium or Basic system can only act as an access
client. There are plenty of third party solutions available that may suit
your needs without upgrading.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

I try to enable remote desktop for my computer running windows Vista home
premium. I could not find it? Do you know how to enable it? I thought
Windows Vista does not have this function. Thanks

S

Synapse Syndrome

jmm said:
Remote desktop is part of Vista Premium.
All Programs->accessories->Remote Desktop connection.

That's only the client, not the ability to be the host. All version of
Windows are able to use the client, even as far back as Windows '95, IIRC.

ss.

S

Silicon neuron

try www.ultranvc.com since premium home cannot work as a remote desktop server. With vnc you can have the similar functionality on any version of windows.

free and works very well

Q

quy nguyen

Thanks for replies.
I tried windows remote assistance. However, It seems that I only see the screen of client and send message not able to control the desktop. I sense that there is a way to control remote desktop thru this. Does anyone know how to control desktop from windows remote assistance.Thanks

S

Synapse Syndrome

Thanks for replies.
I tried windows remote assistance. However, It seems that I only see the
screen of client and send message not able to control the desktop. I sense
that there is a way to control remote desktop thru this. Does anyone know
how to control desktop from windows remote assistance.Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person on the other end has to grant you control. Remote Assistance is
only for helping another person, not for one person to use.

ss.

Ask a Question