Remote Desktop with multiple PC's behind router

Cliff

I can successfully connect to an XP Pro PC behind my router. I have port
3389 forwarded to a 192.xxxx address.

I'd like to setup a second XP PC with remote desktop as well. Is this
possible? Can I somehow tell RD to listen on another port for the second
PC? I know this is possible with WinVNC, but I'd rather use Remote Desktop
for performance reasons.

Thanks

Terry Barcroft [MSFT]

Hello Cliff,
The scenario you desire is definitely possible. You have a couple of
choices. First, if your router supports port translation, then you could
simply map another port, say 3390, on the external interface of the router
to the second XP machine's port 3389. In that case, you would add the port
number to the connection string in the RDP client. In the Computer field
in the Remote desktop Connection client on the General tab, add the port
number to the field. Example: if the external IP is 200.1.1.1 and the
listening port (on the router) is 2290, then type the following in the
Computer field "200.1.1.1:3390" (without quotes).

Alternatively you can configure the remote desktop to listen on a port
other than 3389, and then redirect that port on the router. Check out the
following article:

306759 How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306759

Of course, if you have more than 1 IP on the external interface of the
router, then you could just publish the port on the router based on the IP.
(In other words you could publish one remote desktop machine on 3389 for
each public IP assigned to the router.

Thanks,
Terry Barcroft [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.

|>Subject: Remote Desktop with multiple PC's behind router
|>From: Cliff <[email protected]>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|>Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:17:12 -0700
|>
|>I can successfully connect to an XP Pro PC behind my router. I have port
|>3389 forwarded to a 192.xxxx address.
|>
|>I'd like to setup a second XP PC with remote desktop as well. Is this
|>possible? Can I somehow tell RD to listen on another port for the second
|>PC? I know this is possible with WinVNC, but I'd rather use Remote
Desktop
|>for performance reasons.
|>
|>Thanks
|>

|>--
|>Cliff

Cliff

Cliff said:
I can successfully connect to an XP Pro PC behind my router. I have
port 3389 forwarded to a 192.xxxx address.

I'd like to setup a second XP PC with remote desktop as well. Is this
possible? Can I somehow tell RD to listen on another port for the
second PC? I know this is possible with WinVNC, but I'd rather use
Remote Desktop for performance reasons.

Thanks

Great answers from both of you....this is going to be a piece of cake!
Thanks again!