Remote Desktop Connection

Simon James

Hi guys !!

Hope I find you all well today (being a Friday..)

Environment

Dell Powervault NAS 715N (running windows 2000 Terminal),
NT4 servers with all the latest updates etc, Novel Servers
and a broad range of workstation Clients including 2000
Pro and XP Pro

Scenario

Running the remote desktop connection (RDC) only brings up
the Powervault as a browse able object. No other client is
available to browse regardless of whether they have the
RDC installed or not. Clicking 'browse for more' makes no
difference. All the clients that we are looking to use
with RDC are clearly defined within 'my network places'

Questions

What mechanism does RDC use in order to pick up on a
client or server that it identifies with?

Is RDC predominantly a server or workstation based client?

Was it the official replacement for the old netmeeting?

How does a user identify whether an individual is actually
logged on to them or not?

Can these connections be refused?

Summary

We need to establish a centralised way of 'remote desktop
sharing' whether it's for a server or workstation. Is this
the correct product to be using?.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Simon

William Wang[MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your posting. You can refer to the following article for
information about why a computer is not listed in the browse list. For your
convenience I've included it here.

281307 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Are Not Advertised as Terminal
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281307

SYMPTOMS
========

When you browse for computers by using the Remote Desktop tool or the
Terminal Services Client tool, Windows XP-based and Windows Server
2003-based computers with Remote Desktop enabled may not appear in the list
of available computers. Additionally, Windows XP-based and Windows Server
2003-based computers with Remote Desktop enabled may not appear in
Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services Manager.

CAUSE
=====
By default, only Windows Server 2003-based Terminal Services servers and
Windows 2000-based servers with Terminal Services installed in either
Application Server mode or in Remote Administration mode advertise
themselves as Terminal Services servers. This behavior makes the browse
list in Remote Desktop and Terminal Services Client more usable, and makes
sure that only Terminal Services servers appear in Windows 2000 and Windows
Server 2003 Terminal Services Manager.

RESOLUTION
==========

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To cause a computer that is running Windows XP Professional or Windows
Server 2003, but is not configured as a Terminal Services server, to
advertise itself as a Terminal Services server:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

3. Change the value of the TSAdvertise DWORD value from 0 to 1.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

5. Restart the computer.

Note Windows Server 2003-based computers that are configured as Terminal
Services servers, and Windows 2000 Server-based servers or Windows 2000
Advanced Server-based servers with Terminal Services installed in either
Application Server mode or in Remote Administration mode already have the

TSAdvertise

registry value set to 1. Therefore, these servers advertise themselves as
Terminal Services servers.
~~~~~~~~

It appears that you are dealing with multiple questions that will require
individual attention to ensure that we are not counter-productive in our
support efforts. A suggestion in this case would be to post these questions
separately so that contributors within this newsgroup who specialize in
certain feature will be able to provide the 'value add' to answering these
questions.

It is important to us that we provide you with the best support possible
and by breaking down these issues separately we will be able to address
them appropriately and in a timely manner.

For these remote desktop and terminal server questions, you can post them
in the <microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely> and the
<microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services> newsgroup. We recommend
posting appropriately so you will get the most qualified pool of
respondents, and so other community members who regularly read the
newsgroups can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction
with us.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

William Wang[MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Just checking to see if the information provided were helpful. Please feel
free to let us know if you would like further assistance.

From: "Simon James" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Simon James" <[email protected]>
Subject: Remote Desktop Connection
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:30:10 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

I'm just checking on the status of this issue. Is there anything else we
can do for you here? Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any
questions at any time.