Remote Desktop Client and Citrix Metafram XPs

Michael Turnbull

I have the latest RDC client installed onto a couple of
machines, when attempting to connect to a Windows 2000
server running Terminal Services and Citrix XPs the
clients connect, login, runs the login scripts and then
closes the session down straight away. Does any one have
any ideas as to why, and more importantly how to resolve
this issue. Thanks Michael

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your post.

First of all, I would like to confirm that I understand the issue
correctly: When trying to log on the Termianl server via network, the logon
scripts are applied, but then the terminal session closes and leaves the
Remote Desktop Connection window open. If I have misunderstood your
concern, please let me know.

To perform further analysis, please let me know the following:

1. Please go to the Terminal server and logon locally with an affected
account. Does the problem occur locally?

2. When did you first encounter this issue? Did you encounter this issue
right after you configured the Terminal Services or after you changed some
settings?

3. Does the problem occur with previous version of terminal client software?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Michael Turnbull" <[email protected]>
|Sender: "Michael Turnbull" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Remote Desktop Client and Citrix Metafram XPs
|Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:17:31 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients
|
|I have the latest RDC client installed onto a couple of
|machines, when attempting to connect to a Windows 2000
|server running Terminal Services and Citrix XPs the
|clients connect, login, runs the login scripts and then
|closes the session down straight away. Does any one have
|any ideas as to why, and more importantly how to resolve
|this issue. Thanks Michael

Matthew Harris [MVP]

Does this only happen when you connect using these certain
machines? Can you connect using RDP (rather than Citrix's
ICA) to see if the problem still occurs?

-M

Joe

Thanks for the reply. I can log in locally to the TS and
everything is ok there, no problems. The usual connection
is through the ICA connection to the server not through
the the TSC connection. Also it only seems to affect
Windows 2000 machines and not Windows XP systems. To
clarify a few things, when running the RDC, it brings up
the login page, allows you to login in and then runs the
login scripts on the server, once that has completed
running the machine closes the connection and logs you out
of the system.

Thanks

Michael Turnbull

I can connect ok using Windows XP and the RDC client and
also the ICA client on both XP and W2K systems, but I need
to be able to connect via the RDC client on W2K machines
from remote machines as the connection is maintained
better by this client.

Thanks
..

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your post.

From your description I learned that the problem only occurs when using RDP
client to logon from Windows 2000 clients. Does the problem occur on every
Windows 2000 client? Is there a Windows 2000 client working correctly?

When did the problem begin to occur? Did everything work before?

Also, I am not sure which version of Remote Desktop Connection client you
are using. Please check if the problem occurs with the following version:

Remote Desktop Connection Software Download
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: <[email protected]>
|Sender: <[email protected]>
|Subject: RE: Remote Desktop Client and Citrix Metafram XPs
|Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:55:53 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients
|
|Joe
|
|Thanks for the reply. I can log in locally to the TS and
|everything is ok there, no problems. The usual connection
|is through the ICA connection to the server not through
|the the TSC connection. Also it only seems to affect
|Windows 2000 machines and not Windows XP systems. To
|clarify a few things, when running the RDC, it brings up
|the login page, allows you to login in and then runs the
|login scripts on the server, once that has completed
|running the machine closes the connection and logs you out
|of the system.
|
|Thanks

|>|
|>|I have the latest RDC client installed onto a couple of
|>|machines, when attempting to connect to a Windows 2000
|>|server running Terminal Services and Citrix XPs the
|>|clients connect, login, runs the login scripts and then
|>|closes the session down straight away. Does any one
|have
|>|any ideas as to why, and more importantly how to resolve
|>|this issue. Thanks Michael
|>|

|>.

Matthew Harris [MVP]

It almost sounds like either the system isn't bringing up
the explorer process correctly or that the logoff program
is being called to logoff the user.

What has changed on the server that could have caused this?

-M