Remote Desktop and Network Printing

Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am utilizing remote
desktop on a Windows XP Pro to connect to a Windows 2003 Server. The Windows
client has a network printer connected via ethernet as it's default (and
only) printer. When I connect to the server via remote desktop, the printer
is not available as a printer choice. I have checked the pritner box under
local resources, yet it does not detect the printer. I have checked the
documentation for remote desktop and it does say that network printing is
supported, however, I canno figure out what the problem is. Any help on this
topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. We may be hitting on part of the problems, however,
I'm not sure. The server being accessed is obviously an AD domain, however,
the workstation accessing it is not, nor is it located within the same domain
or network (basically a home machine connecting to a work network). The
printer is connected via ethernet through a router, but no server is present.
When another workstation with a printer connected via USB connects to the
same server, the local printer on the USB is detected. However, I'm starting
to wonder if I have the server configured properly. Any ideas?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Well, I am not a server guy at all so the best I can say is that if your
logging onto a server and an AD then I suggest you post this to one of the
server groups...

microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory
microsoft.public.windows.server.general
microsoft.public.windows.server.networking

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

GTS

To print to an Ethernet printer on your local network with Remote Desktop
you need to configure printer pooling as follows:

1. In printer properties on your machine Share the printer (This seems
counter intuitive but is required.).

2. Run ipconfig and note your local PC's IP address.
NOTE - You should NOT be connected to RD at this point. Also, it would
be best to assign this PC a static address.

3. In a command prompt Run net use lpt3
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printer-sharename /persistent:yes
x is your local address and printer-sharename is the name you assigned
in step 1.
(This lpt could be 1, 2, or 3 - I prefer not to use 1 as it is often
captured for another printer.)

4. Under Printer properties Ports check enable printer pooling.
- Check the LPT port you used in the net command AND the Standard IP Port
which must show the IP address of the printer.

There must also be a matching printer driver installed on the host.

Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
[...]

"kmcnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am utilizing remote
> desktop on a Windows XP Pro to connect to a Windows 2003 Server. The
> Windows
> client has a network printer connected via ethernet as it's default (and
> only) printer. When I connect to the server via remote desktop, the
> printer
> is not available as a printer choice. I have checked the pritner box
> under
> local resources, yet it does not detect the printer. I have checked the
> documentation for remote desktop and it does say that network printing is
> supported, however, I canno figure out what the problem is. Any help on
> this
> topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Excelent! I registered just for the feedback. Job well done GTS,it worked like a charm! :thumb: