reload of an xp upgrade

valleysboy

Hi. I'm having serious problems with xp pro and think I need to reload
windows - the problem is I can't find my windows xp disc. I purchased an
upgrade to the xp home that came with my pc, and although I have the
original OEM (home) disc, I don't have the upgrade (pro) disc.

I DO have another microsoft xp pro disc that I bought for another machine,
and which has been loaded and activated.

So, can I use the microsoft disc to reload windows xp pro, but maintain the
same code/ activation that is currently on the upgraded machine?

Is this possible? Is it legal? ( I hope so.. I've paid lots of bucks for two
copies after all).

Any opinions/ ideas gratefully received...

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

As long as your other Windows XP Pro CD is absolutely
identical to the one you misplaced, then you can use it
to reinstall XP Pro using the Product Key that is being
used on the faulty computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"valleysboy" <anon> wrote in message:

| Hi. I'm having serious problems with xp pro and think I need to reload
| windows - the problem is I can't find my windows xp disc. I purchased an
| upgrade to the xp home that came with my pc, and although I have the
| original OEM (home) disc, I don't have the upgrade (pro) disc.
|
| I DO have another microsoft xp pro disc that I bought for another machine,
| and which has been loaded and activated.
|
| So, can I use the microsoft disc to reload windows xp pro, but maintain the
| same code/ activation that is currently on the upgraded machine?
|
| Is this possible? Is it legal? ( I hope so.. I've paid lots of bucks for two
| copies after all).
|
| Any opinions/ ideas gratefully received...
|
| Thanks

valleysboy

Thanks Carey - thats good news I think...
but if the Product Key is the one that comes on the packaging, then I'm no
further forward (If I could find the packaging I'd have found the CD ! :)
)
Also, how would I know if the two versions are exactly the same? They're
both XP Pro, and thats about as far as my knowledge goes...

Thanks again

HillBillyBuddhist

valleysboy said:
Thanks Carey - thats good news I think...
but if the Product Key is the one that comes on the packaging, then I'm no
further forward (If I could find the packaging I'd have found the CD ! :)
)
Also, how would I know if the two versions are exactly the same? They're
both XP Pro, and thats about as far as my knowledge goes...

Thanks again

If the current system is still running at all you can use a keyfinder.

for example.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

valleysboy

thats great, thanks, I'll give it a try (got a sneaky feeling dog has eaten
upgrade CD).