Windows XP reinstalling windows xp on dell mini problem?

Reaction score
hi.trying to reinstall windows xp sp3 on my dell inspiron mini 10 via usb since there is no dvd drive in netbook. i have followed all the tutorials using winsetusb and wintoflash to make my usb stick bootable and then copy files over from my windows xp cd using another pc.and when i boot up my dell mini via usb i get as far as copying over files to dell mini but when i try to copy files over i keep gettinh files cannot be copied over error.help would be really appreciated

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you are trying to install XP via USB drive boot?

What do you mean by "Copying files over to dell mini"? Is this during installation of XP or the actual copying of files so that you can start an install?

What does the error say exactly?

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you are trying to install XP via USB drive boot?

What do you mean by "Copying files over to dell mini"? Is this during installation of XP or the actual copying of files so that you can start an install?

What does the error say exactly?[/QUOTE
yes i am trying to install XP via USB drive boot.i think it is during the install of windows xp. it asks me to select a drive to put my windows files on asked me do i want to delete old files and copy over files from usb . then it deletes old files but when it starts to copy over files from usb it says files cannot be copied and u can click esc to skip the file but when i do that it just goes to the next file and tells me that that file cannot be copied over either.i skipped all the files to see what happens and after that it reboots but tells me some hal file is missing or corrupt.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
ok, that's a little better. I have not been able to successfully install any version of Windows via USB key. It is something that I would like to tackle, as I have to use a USB optical drive to do the installs now.

How difficult would it be for you to get an optical drive for the install? Do you have a disc to use for installation?

I believe your issue is probably with the USB key setup. I have used Pendrivelinux and Multiboot ISO to try and boot Win 7 ISO. But I haven't gotten this far yet. Do you have a link to the software you are using? I will try to load an ISO of SP3 on a key and see what happens. Maybe I can get it to work.

Reaction score
ok, that's a little better. I have not been able to successfully install any version of Windows via USB key. It is something that I would like to tackle, as I have to use a USB optical drive to do the installs now.

How difficult would it be for you to get an optical drive for the install? Do you have a disc to use for installation?

I believe your issue is probably with the USB key setup. I have used Pendrivelinux and Multiboot ISO to try and boot Win 7 ISO. But I haven't gotten this far yet. Do you have a link to the software you are using? I will try to load an ISO of SP3 on a key and see what happens. Maybe I can get it to work.

is an optical drive like a dvd rewriter. think i would have to buy one.only problem is even if i bought one i would have to install it but since i cant get get past windows setup i wontbe able to install any optical drive software to use it. i have a windows xp sp3 cd that came with dell mini. i used winsetupusb and wintoflash to try and boot windows xp,both free to download.cheers

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
yeah. Optical drive is a CD/DVD/Blue Ray drive. Optical drives, if internal, will be picked up automatically. If the optical drive is a USB connected device, you may have to set the BIOS to indicate it needs to boot to USB device. Since you already set up a USB boot key, it should allow the system to boot to the CD. In that case, the Windows installation will be processed as if it were a normal setup, like a desktop.

i haven't had a chance to get to the USB key setup. Been busy here. I'll see if I can get a chance to play with it this evening.

If you have a Win XP SP3 CD, I would just go buy a USB CD rom drive. It will serve you well with your netbook anyway. But that is my opinion.

Ask a Question