Reinstalling an Epson 1200 Scanner-Help

Blair

I have downloaded the software form the CD but the driver is missing. I
don't know where the driver is located. It is not on the Disk I have. I
remember that stimon is essential to be loaded and I have found the file but
when I click it nothing happens.
Any ideas to help me?
Blair

Linda

Blair said:
I have downloaded the software form the CD but the driver is missing. I
don't know where the driver is located. It is not on the Disk I have. I
remember that stimon is essential to be loaded and I have found the file but
when I click it nothing happens.
Any ideas to help me?
Blair

Hi Blair,
I am having the same problem with my Epson 1640SU Photo scanner. I had
to download the driver from the Epson Website and re-install. I still
had trouble getting Windows XP to acknowledge the TWAIN driver,
though. Contacted Epson support through their email and they responded
within two hours. They are walking me through installation, hope it
works.

bmoag

You do not say what operating system you use.
For Win9x the drivers on the website should reinstall and run the Twain
driver.
When XP first came out Epson continued to support the 1200, which was
already a few product cycles old. At that time a reinstall under XP, using
the drivers off the Epson web site, could require manual removal of some
Epson files from the Windows folder.
I presume they have improved the process because I still use the 1200 for
document scanning and no longer have experienced uninstall/reinstall
problems under XP.
The download is over 4mbs which is a problem if you only have dial-up
access.
Epson in my experience is very good about responding to E-Mail requests for
assistance.

Blair

Linda said:
"Blair" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Hi Blair,
I am having the same problem with my Epson 1640SU Photo scanner. I had
to download the driver from the Epson Website and re-install. I still
had trouble getting Windows XP to acknowledge the TWAIN driver,
though. Contacted Epson support through their email and they responded
within two hours. They are walking me through installation, hope it
works.

Hi Linda,
I downloaded the driver from the Epson Web site but it refused to run and I
still have a yellow ? against the 1200U scanner in Device Manager
Have now sent an email to Epson so hope to get advice
Did you manage to install the driver?
Blair

Blair

bmoag said:
You do not say what operating system you use.
For Win9x the drivers on the website should reinstall and run the Twain
driver.
When XP first came out Epson continued to support the 1200, which was
already a few product cycles old. At that time a reinstall under XP, using
the drivers off the Epson web site, could require manual removal of some
Epson files from the Windows folder.
I presume they have improved the process because I still use the 1200 for
document scanning and no longer have experienced uninstall/reinstall
problems under XP.
The download is over 4mbs which is a problem if you only have dial-up
access.
Epson in my experience is very good about responding to E-Mail requests for
assistance.
Thanks for you comments.
I am using Win 98 SE
I downloaded the driver (long download) but it still refuses to run.
In device manager the yellow ? is against the scanner and it says that no
drivers are installed but when I try to install I fail.
Have now sent an email to Epson so he I will get a solution.
Printers are so easy to install- I don't know why scanners are so difficult?
Blair

Tim

Blair said:
I have downloaded the software form the CD but the driver is missing. I
don't know where the driver is located. It is not on the Disk I have. I
remember that stimon is essential to be loaded and I have found the file but
when I click it nothing happens.
Any ideas to help me?
Blair

The original CD will only have the drivers for Windows 98 (possibly
Windows 2000, depends on the version), these drivers have to be
installed by using the plug and play architecture of Windows you
CANNOT load these by clicking a setup.exe.
If you want to click a setup or if you have Windows XP go to the web
site and download the latest driver.
Do not go looking for SITMON and clicking on it as this does not load
support for still imaging devices. When you install a still image
device the support will be loaded as part of the process.

Blair

Tim said:
"Blair" <[email protected]> wrote in message

The original CD will only have the drivers for Windows 98 (possibly
Windows 2000, depends on the version), these drivers have to be
installed by using the plug and play architecture of Windows you
CANNOT load these by clicking a setup.exe.
If you want to click a setup or if you have Windows XP go to the web
site and download the latest driver.
Do not go looking for SITMON and clicking on it as this does not load
support for still imaging devices. When you install a still image
device the support will be loaded as part of the process.

It is Win 98SE that I am using. I take your point that the drivers cannot be
loaded apart from using plug and play.
I have done that but cannot seem to find the drivers either in the C
partition or from the CD
I did manage to find the file which I thought would be the driver
C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN32\ESCNOV\ESCNOV.EXE
But it did not work.
I was once told that it was essential for stimon to be running in the live
programmes.
Blair

CSM1

Actually, the CD should be AutoPlay. It should start the splash screen and
have choices for installing the EPSON drivers. If it does not autoplay, then
Start>Run Click Browse, open the CD drive and click on the .exe file you
find there, it may be called EPSON.EXE.
It is Win 98SE that I am using. I take your point that the drivers cannot
be
loaded apart from using plug and play.
I have done that but cannot seem to find the drivers either in the C
partition or from the CD
I did manage to find the file which I thought would be the driver
C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN32\ESCNOV\ESCNOV.EXE
But it did not work.
I was once told that it was essential for stimon to be running in the live
programmes.
Blair
Yes, Stimon.exe must be running, But it is installed as part of the driver
package.
You will also need your Windows 98SE CD.

To get new drivers for Epson 1200:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp
Click on Drivers & Support in the Blue Left pane.
Click Scanners. Click Epson Perfection Series.
You have three 1200 choices, choose the one for your scanner.
Photo means that the Transparency adapter is included.

There are several downloads on the download page, get all of them for
Windows 98.

When you get the downloads, double click the filename.exe follow directions
and the drivers will be installed. The files are self-expanding and do the
whole job. The last thing will be reboot computer.

Blair

CSM1 said:
[...]

Thanks for your very clear instructions. Actually I did download the driver
previously but when I checked there were no exe files present.
I noticed this time I was told to disconnect the scanner. Last time I did
not do so.
The download is taking place now on my other PC (37 minutes!) It is ver
5.53A. There is also an earlier ver 4 but I assume I only need to download
the latest ver
Will come back to you when it is complete
Blair

Blair

CSM1 said:
[...]

Completed the download. When I was asked for the Win 98 CD and loaded it I
got the message "The file usbscan.sys on Win98SE could not be found" and if
I pressed ignore other files are listed not found. At least I have the
hardware installed now and I selected Stimon as the logging module.
Looking at the downloaded file there were no files with exe extension.
When you said click filename.exe, what is "filename"
There are a number of winzip files but what triggers them I have no idea.
Also what files are required from the Win98SE CD?
When I try and start Epson Scan I get "Epson Scan cannot be started"
I seem to be going round in circles!
Help!
Blair

Howard Nelson

Completed the download. When I was asked for the Win 98 CD and loaded it I
got the message "The file usbscan.sys on Win98SE could not be found" and if
I pressed ignore other files are listed not found. At least I have the
hardware installed now and I selected Stimon as the logging module.
Looking at the downloaded file there were no files with exe extension.
When you said click filename.exe, what is "filename"
There are a number of winzip files but what triggers them I have no idea.
Also what files are required from the Win98SE CD?
When I try and start Epson Scan I get "Epson Scan cannot be started"
I seem to be going round in circles!
Help!
Blair

Blair,
This won't be any consolation to you but I had a similar experience with
Win2K and an epson 3170 scanner. I spent about 12 hours over 2 weeks trying
to get the epson scanner recognized by epson software. The problem lies in
plug and play referencing the wrong .inf file. I really did everything at
file and registry level to correct the problem I could think of.
Communicated with Epson and Newsoft. Used latest drivers, european drivers
etc, etc, etc.. In the end a fresh install of windows 2000 was all that
worked. As an aside, during all of this trial versions of Vuescan and Silver
fast worked just fine.
So, I don't have any solution for you but if you need the epson software you
might cut your losses (in time) and do a clean OS install or use Vuescan.
Vuescan will not have the neat one step copy and email functions.
Howard

Tim

Blair said:
Completed the download. When I was asked for the Win 98 CD and loaded it I
got the message "The file usbscan.sys on Win98SE could not be found" and if
I pressed ignore other files are listed not found. At least I have the
hardware installed now and I selected Stimon as the logging module.
Looking at the downloaded file there were no files with exe extension.
When you said click filename.exe, what is "filename"
There are a number of winzip files but what triggers them I have no idea.
Also what files are required from the Win98SE CD?
When I try and start Epson Scan I get "Epson Scan cannot be started"
I seem to be going round in circles!
Help!
Blair

You need usbscan.sys from the Windows 98 CD. This is the function
driver for the scanner and is part of the support in the OS. Use the
browse button to browse to the CD drive then navigate to the Win98
directory on the CD. The system will automatically recognise the cab
file in which the usbscan.sys is located. Click OK on the browse and
this will return you to the cannot find the file message, but this
time the path will be %CD Drive%\Win98, click OK and things should be
fine.

Blair

Tim said:
[...]

fine.[/QUOTE]

I decided to check if the usbscan.sys file was on my Win 98SE CD. I did a
search and it was not there.
I am not sure how I get the window which says insert the Win 98. I got that
after downloading the driver.
So how do I start again.?
At least there is some one else who had real trouble, namely Howard.
Hope you don't loose patience with me!
Blair

Blair

Howard Nelson said:
it

[...]
It is a consolation to know of someone else who had similar problems.
The irony is I have just completed a clean restore of my hard drive with all
the pain of reinstalling software and drivers etc. and the scanner was the
last item. Not keen to start again!
I noticed you use AVG Anti Virus software. I was thinking of using instead
of Norton Anti virus which I use on my other PC.
What is your experience of AVG and would you recommend it?
Blair

CSM1

Check in body of message for replies.

Blair said:
Completed the download. When I was asked for the Win 98 CD and loaded it I
got the message "The file usbscan.sys on Win98SE could not be found" and

Usbscan.sys is not found because the TWAIN driver is not correctly
installed.
if
I pressed ignore other files are listed not found. At least I have the
hardware installed now and I selected Stimon as the logging module.

I do not know what you are doing here. Whatever it is, it is wrong!
Looking at the downloaded file there were no files with exe extension.

If you do not see extensions in Windows Explorer, you do not have displaying
extensions enabled. Start Windows Explorer, View menu, Folder Options. View
Tab, under Hidden files, tick Show All Files. Uncheck "Hide file Extensions
for known file types". Click OK.

When you said click filename.exe, what is "filename"

"filename" is a place holder for the actual filename of the file. In this
case the file that was downloaded for the twain driver is "epson10245.exe",
so "filename" would be "epson10245".
There are a number of winzip files but what triggers them I have no idea.

To start the install of the twain driver, double click the file
epson10245.exe. Click OK.

When the Winzip window comes up, both check boxes should be checked. Do not
change the folder in the text box. (The folder will be C:\epson\epson10245).
Click Unzip.
After running, the window telling that16 files unzipped successfully will
pop up, click OK, The Epson driver install will run.

INFORMATION:
If you look in C:\epson\epson10245, you will find a file named Setup.exe.
That file is the Installer for the Epson TWAIN driver. It is run
automatically when the epson10245.exe is double clicked after extracting all
files from the zip archive built into epson10245.exe.
Also what files are required from the Win98SE CD?
The Installer may not ask for the CD, not all hardware needs files from the
CD.
The software does not say, but some are Twain.dll, TWAIN_32.DLL,
TWUNK_16.EXE, and TWUNK_32.EXE.

When Windows runs the hardware install, the Wizard may ask for the Window 98
CD and get the required files. Otherwise, you don't need the Windows CD.
When I try and start Epson Scan I get "Epson Scan cannot be started"
I seem to be going round in circles!
Help!
Blair
Looks is if it is time to do a complete remove and start over.

Unplug the scanner from the computer. It must not be connected until the
software is installed.
Read the Readme.txt file in C:\epson\epson10245. (Put there when you double
clicked epson10245.exe, the file you downloaded from Epson.)

From EPSON Support:
TWAIN Driver v5.53A
Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98
epson10245.exe - 4.6MB - posted on 02/25/02

This self-extracting file contains the Epson Perfection 1200U and
1200U Photo TWAIN Driver v5.53A.

Important: The scanner must be disconnected from computer during the
installation of this driver.

Q: How do I reinstall the scanner software?
A:
1. Insert your scanner CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive.
2. (Windows) Click Start and Run. At the prompt, type D:\EPSON (where
D is your CD-ROM drive letter); then click OK. (Macintosh) Double-click the
EPSON Installer icon.
3. At the Main Menu, select Re-install Scanner Software. Note: If you
are using a Macintosh, you must uninstall EPSON TWAIN before reinstalling
it.

For a downloaded driver, you would run C:\epson\epson10245\Setup.exe since
you are not using the drivers on the CD.
Being that I do not have an EPSON scanner, I have to use general ideas of
how to completely remove scanner driver software from Windows 98SE.

The first thing to look for is a uninstall or remove Epson driver software
in the Start Menu. If found, do so. If not in the Start Menu
Start>Settings>Control Panel. In Control Panel, Double Click Add/Remove
Programs. Look for the Scanner driver, click on it, Click the button
Add/Remove.

After Removing via Add/Remove or uninstall, Start>Find Files or Folders.

In the Named Text box put "twain" without quotes, In the Look In: dropdown,
Drive C, Click Find Now. Delete any files that are found. (They will be in
C:\Windows) Yes, it is OK to delete these files from Windows. They will be
restored with the correct versions when you install the scanner driver.

Repeat all the above for "twunk".

Reboot the computer.
Install the software.
Reboot Computer.
Shut down the computer.
Connect the Scanner (Scanner should be on a separate from computer power),
then turn on computer. The scanner must be powered and connected before the
computer.

Windows 98 should find and install the Twain driver. Follow the prompts.

See my detail on installing from the downloaded Exe, above in answer to your
question:

I'm having the same problems with my Epson 1200U Photo. I get the
drivers installed, but can't get the old Epson scanning interface, the
Windows XP (I know this thread is about W98) Scanning Wizard pops up and
I can't seem to find the Epson interface.

The 1200U Photo came with a Film Adapter with a backlight to scan 35mm
slides, etc. and I just can't get it to work with XP. The drivers are
intended for XP, but I can't get the film scanner to work.

Has anyone installed the 1200U Photo on XP and figured out a way to scan
slides? Any ideas? I've already got a dialog going with Epson support,
but so far they've just told me to reinstall the drivers, which I've
done.

Another strange thing in XP is that the scanner is only recognized when
it's "on". As soon as I turn it off, it drops out of the "Imaging
Devices" in the Device Manager.

Thanks,

John

CSM1

Hi,

[...]

Actually, this thread is about getting a Epson 1200U working. Windows 98 has
a different architecture than Windows XP. The principle on installing a
scanner driver is basically the same in all of the Windows OS after Win95.

There is one thing you might check. See if the Scanner driver is the Windows
XP WIA instead of the Epson TWAIN one. You can check that in Device Manager.
It will not be there unless the scanner is connected and turned on.

If the scanner is using the Windows XP WIA driver, it may mean that the
Epson TWAIN driver is not installed.

During installing drivers, if you ever get the Windows XP warning about the
driver not being digitally signed, Click "Continue Anyway". If you do not
"Continue Anyway", the driver is not installed. Windows XP will then use the
built-in WIA driver if one is available.

It is normal for Imaging Devices to go away when no scanner or camera is
connected. In XP, that is just the way it works.

Blair

CSM1 said:
Check in body of message for replies.

Usbscan.sys is not found because the TWAIN driver is not correctly
installed.

I do not know what you are doing here. Whatever it is, it is wrong!

If you do not see extensions in Windows Explorer, you do not have displaying
extensions enabled. Start Windows Explorer, View menu, Folder Options. View
Tab, under Hidden files, tick Show All Files. Uncheck "Hide file Extensions
for known file types". Click OK.

"filename" is a place holder for the actual filename of the file. In this
case the file that was downloaded for the twain driver is "epson10245.exe",
so "filename" would be "epson10245".
idea.

[...]

From EPSON Support:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
TWAIN Driver v5.53A
Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98
epson10245.exe - 4.6MB - posted on 02/25/02

This self-extracting file contains the Epson Perfection 1200U and
1200U Photo TWAIN Driver v5.53A.

Important: The scanner must be disconnected from computer during the
installation of this driver.

Q: How do I reinstall the scanner software?
A:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
[...]

See my detail on installing from the downloaded Exe, above in answer to your idea.

Thanks to your help I have at last succeeded in installing Twain5. I had
downloaded it but for some reason I could not find it. I did a search for
the file you mentioned and found the zip file
So I now have all the software downloaded
Prestel Page Manager is the operating software and I can open that but when
I click the scanning button I get "Epson scan cannot be started"
At this stage since I had managed to install the driver I thought it might
work without having to reinstall again
Is there an simple answer to this or do I have to delete the software and
start again?.

Blair

Tim

I decided to check if the usbscan.sys file was on my Win 98SE CD. I did a
search and it was not there.
I am not sure how I get the window which says insert the Win 98. I got that
after downloading the driver.
So how do I start again.?
At least there is some one else who had real trouble, namely Howard.
Hope you don't loose patience with me!
Blair

You cannot find USBSCAN.SYS by searching as the file is in a
compressed cabinet!!
Did you try what I suggested:

You need usbscan.sys from the Windows 98 CD. This is the function
driver for the scanner and is part of the support in the OS. Use the
browse button to browse to the CD drive then navigate to the Win98
directory on the CD. The system will automatically recognise the cab
file in which the usbscan.sys is located. Click OK on the browse and
this will return you to the cannot find the file message, but this
time the path will be %CD Drive%\Win98, click OK and things should be
fine.

Honestly I have installed hundreds of scanners.

Other points:
USBSCAN.SYS is the O/S FUNCTION DRIVER and is NOT part of the EPSON
Twain Driver.
Windows 98 handles Imaging devices differently to ALL O/Ss that came
afterwards. In Windows 98 support for imaging devices is NOT LOADED BY
DEFAULT, therefore when you connect an imaging device it is loaded and
hence the call for the Win98 CD. This is not a badly loaded driver but
THE CORRECT PROCESS.
Drivers may load in roughly the same fashion since Win 98 but it is
NOT TRUE that the users install them in the same fasion. There has
been a good deal of development with the Install Shield that allows
manufacturers to automate driver loading by running a setup.exe
program, this was not always the case.

Please Blair you are nearly there, just re run the setup.exe and
follow the instructions, do not look for the file on the CD, you will
not find it, unless you look in DRIVER20.CAB, then you will find it.
But you do not need to look for it just point to it, follow the
instructions above and your scanner will work.
There is a fair ammount of poor advice here, so I shall bow out here
as this is getting a little painful (can't stand the suspense, one
button to go - oh no he's missed it).