Reinstall TCP/IP stack from CD?

G

Hi. I've been trying to get my wireless home network set up with no avail. My wireless router works fine along with the computer it's wired to. It's my computer with the wireless card that is having the problems. It gets assigned an IP, but I cannot ping it. I tried to ping the loopback 127.0.0.1 and it still gave me a timeout. I have no firewalls running on both PCs, and I've already taken the card back and got a replacement (per D-link). I've tried to reset the IP stack using the netsh utility, and also by trying to reinstall it by deleting the registry values and installing TCP/IP from the INF files as specified within these newsgroups. Both ways have not worked, so I'm thinking that perhaps the INF files themselves are corrupted by a bad install. Is there anyway to extract these from the CD using msconfig? If so, does anyone know which file(s) in particular are used for TCP/IP stacks?

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Hi. I've been trying to get my wireless home network set up with no avail. My wireless router works fine along with the computer it's wired to. It's my computer with the wireless card that is having the problems. It gets assigned an IP, but I cannot ping it. I tried to ping the loopback 127.0.0.1 and it still gave me a timeout. I have no firewalls running on both PCs, and I've already taken the card back and got a replacement (per D-link). I've tried to reset the IP stack using the netsh utility, and also by trying to reinstall it by deleting the registry values and installing TCP/IP from the INF files as specified within these newsgroups. Both ways have not worked, so I'm thinking that perhaps the INF files themselves are corrupted by a bad install. Is there anyway to extract these from the CD using msconfig? If so, does anyone know which file(s) in particular are used for TCP/IP stacks?

Failure to ping the loopback address is probably caused by a firewall
program that's improperly configured or incompletely un-installed. It
isn't caused by a network card problem, since the loopback address is
independent of any network cards.

If you've ever had a firewall program installed:

1. Re-install it.
2. Un-install it using the procedure provided by the manufacturer.
3. Go to Start | Run | Msconfig and remove any remnants, such as
ZoneAlarm's True Vector service.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

G

----- Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote: ----

Hi. I've been trying to get my wireless home network set up with no avail. My wireless router works fine along with the computer it's wired to. It's my computer with the wireless card that is having the problems. It gets assigned an IP, but I cannot ping it. I tried to ping the loopback 127.0.0.1 and it still gave me a timeout. I have no firewalls running on both PCs, and I've already taken the card back and got a replacement (per D-link). I've tried to reset the IP stack using the netsh utility, and also by trying to reinstall it by deleting the registry values and installing TCP/IP from the INF files as specified within these newsgroups. Both ways have not worked, so I'm thinking that perhaps the INF files themselves are corrupted by a bad install. Is there anyway to extract these from the CD using msconfig? If so, does anyone know which file(s) in particular are used for TCP/IP stacks

Failure to ping the loopback address is probably caused by a firewal
program that's improperly configured or incompletely un-installed. I
isn't caused by a network card problem, since the loopback address i
independent of any network cards

If you've ever had a firewall program installed

1. Re-install it
2. Un-install it using the procedure provided by the manufacturer
3. Go to Start | Run | Msconfig and remove any remnants, such a
ZoneAlarm's True Vector service
--
Best Wishes
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking