Regular Random Rebooting

G

Im running win Xp Home on a DSL connection

A while back I was experiencing random rebooting. I first thought it was my graphics card so I replaced it with a much nicer card. That didn't fix it

I installed Zone Alarm and Nortons AntiVirus...that didn't fix it

Last night, I formatted my drive (took forever) and reinstalled everything. Seemed fine for a few hours then just began rebooting again

After some restarts its telling me there is a problem with my NTFS.sy

If anyone could help me you will save me from just buying a new comp

Thank you

W

Will Denny

Hi

If you are not seeing a Blue Screen, try this:

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' - uncheck 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots, you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code that accompanies that BSOD? With that your problem could be isolated.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Im running win Xp Home on a DSL connection.
|
| A while back I was experiencing random rebooting. I first thought it was my graphics card so I replaced it with a much nicer card. That didn't fix it.
|
| I installed Zone Alarm and Nortons AntiVirus...that didn't fix it.
|
| Last night, I formatted my drive (took forever) and reinstalled everything. Seemed fine for a few hours then just began rebooting again.
|
| After some restarts its telling me there is a problem with my NTFS.sys
|
| If anyone could help me you will save me from just buying a new comp.
|
| Thank you

G

first, before you send money on a new system
try this
click Start> my computer>local disk C>right click properties
On the Tool tab click 'check now' on the error checking tab
Check both boxes. Then, restart you computer. When the computer starts up again, the check disk will start.
This will take some time, but stay at your computer while it runs...There are 5 stages, if it quits before these are completed, it's important that you write down the error message...Particularly if there is a STOP Error message
If there is, post back with the entire message. You might have to repeat this until you are able to write down the entire message
Also, you should defrag your system. To do this, follow the above procedure, except, click defrag instead of check disk

G

just letting you know i've had computers do the same thing on many an operating system & with evryone i found it to be my power supply.

Ask a Question