Regsvr32 error 0x80004005

Whilst running regsvr32 for an ocx component I get an error 'the module
'blah.ocx' was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error
code 0x80004005.

Any ideas anyone ?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Chris,

0x80004005 denotes "Access is denied" error. See if running the Regsvr32 command-line from an elevated Command Prompt helps.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Whilst running regsvr32 for an ocx component I get an error 'the module
'blah.ocx' was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error
code 0x80004005.

Any ideas anyone ?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Josef

You simply right click the Command Prompt shoercut and select Run As
Administrator from the pop-up menu.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

J. Resperger said:
What the hell is an "elevated Command prompt"? I do have the same problem.
Josef

Ramesh said:
Chris,

0x80004005 denotes "Access is denied" error. See if running the Regsvr32
command-line from an elevated Command Prompt helps.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Whilst running regsvr32 for an ocx component I get an error 'the module
'blah.ocx' was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error
code 0x80004005.

Any ideas anyone ?

Paul-B

J. Resperger said:
What the hell is an "elevated Command prompt"? I do have the same
problem. Josef
Open a command box as administrator... right click the icon and select
the "Run as Administrator" option.

Overstressed admin

The error message was the same. I tried running as an admin, logged on as an admin, no such luck. First time I have seen this. Trying to setup muvpn on vista.

regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System32\irebase.dll returns error "irebase was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error0x80004005

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May be a registry permissions issue. Use Regmon or Process Monitor to track.

<Overstressed admin> wrote in message The error message was the same. I tried running as an admin, logged on as an admin, no such luck. First time I have seen this. Trying to setup muvpn on vista.

regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System32\irebase.dll returns error "irebase was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error0x80004005

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ramesh, MS-MVP

To open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

I am having the same problem as mentioned here. I do not have command
prompt icon. ? I tried to run the command (regsvr32
path\vbscript.dll) from the 'DOS' command prompt but am unsuccessful.
How can I run this as an administrator?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Brian,

This is a major change in Windows Vista. Although the user may be part of the Administrators group, they run in standard user mode. When a system-wide operation is performed, the elevation dialog is shown. In case of legacy applications (that don't have the requireAdministrator flag set in the manifest), the user need to right-click on the program and choose "Run as Administrator".

See also:

User Account Control Overview:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa906021.aspx

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

I had the same problem. Running the command prompt as administrator
worked for me as well. I was surprised though, because my user is part
of the adminstrators group. Does anyone know what the difference is
between running as administrator and being part of the administrators
group? I thought they had the same level of priviledges.

Brian

David B.

Did as who suggested? What is the problem. You failed to quote any of the
original conversation in your post so we have no idea what your talking
about.