RegmagiK Registry Editor

Frank Bohan

I have just stumbled on RegmagiK Registry Editor at http://regmagik.com/
which seems to be a very nice program. However, despite the program being
shareware, this page carries a Pricelessware review. Two questions: (1) How
do members feel about a PW review being used to promote payware, and (2) Is
there still a free version of this program available? As far as I can see,
the program is not included on the PW2005 website.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Life is a brief interlude between nothingness and eternity.

Al Klein

I have just stumbled on RegmagiK Registry Editor at http://regmagik.com/
which seems to be a very nice program. However, despite the program being
shareware, this page carries a Pricelessware review. Two questions: (1) How
do members feel about a PW review being used to promote payware

Just my opinion, but I think someone (ping: Someone :) ) should tell
them to get the review or the price off their site. I wouldn't want
*my* copyrighted review of freeware promoting
it-becomes-crippleware-in-30-days.

Clif Notes

Frank said:
I have just stumbled on RegmagiK Registry Editor at http://regmagik.com/
which seems to be a very nice program. However, despite the program being
shareware, this page carries a Pricelessware review. Two questions: (1) How
do members feel about a PW review being used to promote payware, and (2) Is
there still a free version of this program available? As far as I can see,
the program is not included on the PW2005 website.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Life is a brief interlude between nothingness and eternity.

I believe he still offers a free registration key to any member of ACF.
See the following from Google archives of ACF.
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt....e11afc409?q=Regmagik&rnum=10#d2e7eeae11afc409>

Have fun!
Clif @ http://clifnotes.tk

Pit_Bull

I have just stumbled on RegmagiK Registry Editor at http://regmagik.com/
which seems to be a very nice program. However, despite the program being
shareware, this page carries a Pricelessware review. Two questions: (1) How
do members feel about a PW review being used to promote payware, and (2) Is
there still a free version of this program available? As far as I can see,
the program is not included on the PW2005 website.

The author gave out some free registration keys last year, but mine quit
working.

Fooey! Not Freeware! :-(

P_B

Clif Notes

Pit_Bull said:
The author gave out some free registration keys last year, but mine quit
working.

Fooey! Not Freeware! :-(

Hi Bull,

I had the same problem with RegmagiK once. The program is very nice,
and I feel it may even be the best registry editor I've ever used,
despite not being true freeware. One thing I liked about it was that
it's a portable app. In other words, download, unzip, and run. No
installers needed.

When I first tried the program, I unzipped it onto my desktop and
applied the free registration key. After I decided to keep it, I went
ahead and moved it to my data drive. Guess what? The free registration
stopped working.

I deleted the copy on my data drive and unzipped a fresh copy from the
original zip file. Then I re-applied the free registration key. Yes,
you guessed it. It works only when you keep it in the location it's in
when you register it.

I later wrote Boris and he confirmed that this is normal. My copy of
RegmagiK has never stopped working since I figured that part out.

Have fun!

Clif @ http://clifnotes.tk

charles

When I first tried the program, I unzipped it onto my desktop and
applied the free registration key. After I decided to keep it, I went
ahead and moved it to my data drive. Guess what? The free registration
stopped working.

I deleted the copy on my data drive and unzipped a fresh copy from the
original zip file. Then I re-applied the free registration key. Yes,
you guessed it. It works only when you keep it in the location it's in
when you register it.

The same thing happened to me at first. The reg. code is linked to
disk ID. I think Boris revised the registration in a later version so
that the registered disk ID only had to exist somewhere on the system
to be valid, not necessarily the launch disk.

In any case, it has not stopped working and I think is the best
registry editor I have used.

Frank Bohan

Frank said:
[...]

All I can find on the above site is <quote> The price is free if downloaded
before January 31, 2005. Just mention ACF to get free activation key.
</quote>. I think this date is long gone!

===

Frank Bohan
¶ If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Susan Bugher

Frank said:
I have just stumbled on RegmagiK Registry Editor at http://regmagik.com/
which seems to be a very nice program. However, despite the program being
shareware, this page carries a Pricelessware review. Two questions: (1) How
do members feel about a PW review being used to promote payware, and (2) Is
there still a free version of this program available? As far as I can see,
the program is not included on the PW2005 website.

"PW2005 website"??? ;)

RegMagik is listed on the ACF program info pages:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#0623

The quoted review is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#0623

last Freeware version is v. 3.26.4
The ACF web page has a bad link (to be revised) - you can download it here:
ftp://ftp.sogang.ac.kr/.4/win95/sysutil/RegMagikInstall.exe
385 KB

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Al said:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:30:36 -0000, "Frank Bohan"

Just my opinion, but I think someone (ping: Someone :) ) should tell
them to get the review or the price off their site. I wouldn't want
*my* copyrighted review of freeware promoting
it-becomes-crippleware-in-30-days.

The *someone* is Karen S. (Omega) (she said many good things about this
app - Google for her posts if you're interested). The relevant post is
this one:

<q>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
From: omega <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:49:45 -0800
Subject: Re: [PL] 2004 Program Descriptions

Description revision submission

Program Name: RegMagik
Category: System Utilities
Sub-Category: System Utilities > Registry Tools > Editors
Ware Type: Pure Freeware
OS: Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP
Languages: English
Special Requirements: none
Author: Boris Guzner
Homepage: http://members.aol.com/BGuzner/software/
Download (v3.23): http://members.aol.com/BGuzner/software/rm.setup.exe
Screenshot: http://www.freewarefiles.com/scrnshot/regmagik.gif

RegMagik is a fast and quick registry editor with a number of nice
advantages. It provides an excellent in-pane search results display,
with sortable columns. It has a convenient bookmarks system, with drag &
drop support to your desktop. Its forward and back keys make navigation
quick; and the whole registry editing process is simplified by its
display of only those sub-branches accessed during a current session.
Its most special feature, found nowhere else, is its GUID jump
capability. When a value contains a GUID, RegMagik can auto-jump to its
correspondent definition key. This editor is light, polite, and happy to
serve.

.. . . .
comments

When doing my initial nomination post for this software, in being most
concerned about best pimping it up, I went for a list format of its
features. I realize that the format looks terribly awful when compressed
to a paragraph, as seen on the PL web page. So here is a revision,
which I hope will be accepted, although I'm pretty tardy to get to it.

You might notice that I changed the URL. Both URLs - the one given
initially, or the one above - they come out with the same result. It's
this new URL I slightly prefer, as it's shorter, and less odd-looking,
compared to <members.aol.com/_ht_a/bguzner/software/>.

--
Karen S.
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

rm

Le vendredi 6 janvier 2006 à 17:58:17, Frank Bohan a écrit :
I believe he still offers a free registration key to any member of ACF.
See the following from Google archives of ACF.
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt....e11afc409?q=Regmagik&rnum=10#d2e7eeae11afc409>

Foxmail users can also ask free registration : just add "from
http://foxmail.free.fr" in registration request ;-)
I'm the french RegmagiK translator and Webmaster of TFFP!, so Boris accept
the "deal" :)

BTW, i hope RegmagiK to become freeware, again...

@+

Clif Notes

Susan said:
"PW2005 website"??? ;)

RegMagik is listed on the ACF program info pages:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#0623

The quoted review is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#0623

last Freeware version is v. 3.26.4
The ACF web page has a bad link (to be revised) - you can download it here:
ftp://ftp.sogang.ac.kr/.4/win95/sysutil/RegMagikInstall.exe
385 KB

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Thanks to Susan and Charlie for posting the links to the last freeware
version.

Have fun!

Clif @ http://clifnotes.tk

Frank Bohan

Clif Notes said:
Thanks to Susan and Charlie for posting the links to the last freeware
version.

Second the thanks to Susan and Charlie. Susan's link would not work for me.
Charlie's ( http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/systeme/RegMagik-Install.exe )
worked ok and I have downloaded the program but not yet tried it. For some
peculiar reason IE6 crashed immediately after downloading the program.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Chastity is curable, if detected early.

Susan Bugher

Clif said:
Thanks to Susan and Charlie for posting the links to the last freeware
version.

Hi Clif,

re finding last Freeware version information. IMNSVHO ;) the ACF pages
are the best place to look. . .

One of the purposes of the ACF program information pages is to list last
Freeware versions (or note that there is no known last freeware
version). If you want to group those apps sort the pages on the "W"
column (LFW = last freeware version (the program has been abandoned or
discontinued or become $ware)):

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

CharlieDontSurf

Thanks.! :)

Susan

You're welcome, but it t'wern't me :) I nicked it from a Google cache of
one of SonOfSpy's What's New pages. I did download and run it to check,
though -- it *is* version 3.26.4.