Windows XP Registry

Reaction score
On an XP machine, where is HKLM stored?
I know that HKCU is found in NTUSER.dat, but I am trying to recover the registry of a PC that is un-bootable.
Is there a way to do such a thing?
Thanks.

Reaction score
HKLM files are found here %SystemRoot%\System32\Config folder.

Do you have an ASR disk?

Is it un-bootable due to a corrupt MBR, if so you can replace the MBR of a hard drive. But I am assuming that it is a corrupt registry that is making it unbootable. In which case I am not sure.

Found this article, not sure that it relates to your problem or not but it might help.

http://easydesksoftware.com/news/news32.htm

Reaction score
So how can i import the files as subkeys into a second computer?
I not not have an ASR, but I need to be able to recover some of the registry information, otherwise, it would be very hard to re-install all of the programs that were on that machine.
Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Nevermind I misunderstood what your last post said.

The only thing I could think if it is even possible is to do as the article I posted says and put a fresh copy of the folder onto your machine. Then take the new files and replace the old ones and make your old file the active one again. That way all of your added registry keys would remain.

But I have never messed with fixing a non-bootable registry so I am just throwing out suggestions.

Reaction score
Oooo regedits..... I have a version of Win PE with all my "required" applications (regedit, msconfig etc.... lemmings lol) on CD. It's a bootable OS of CD/DVD and many variants are available. Ideal to remove protected files or reg keys.
Just used it to DE-ZOMBIE a laptop of mine..... my bloody A/V had been disabled by a mailer script that then installed trojans galour, protecting certain files, services and reg keys. Only fix was reload or rep the damage without booting the native O/S.

Reaction score
would it be possible to use a boot disk to export the entire registry, and then edit it on anouther machine?
if so, what boot disk (or apps) can be used?

Reaction score
not really related, but is there a way to install an app on one machine, and then copy the nessisary keys and sub-keys along with the data so that it will be install on the second PC?

Ask a Question