Registry editing has been disabled by administrator

eileen

I am trying to install Mcafee virus program and I keep
receiving the error "Registry editing has been disabled
by the administrator". I have tried everything I can
think of to change this. I have tried changing the dword
value to 0, installing an external disable/enable
registry progra (two). Any other suggestions?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

eileen said:
I am trying to install Mcafee virus program and I keep
receiving the error "Registry editing has been disabled
by the administrator". I have tried everything I can
think of to change this. I have tried changing the dword
value to 0, installing an external disable/enable
registry progra (two). Any other suggestions?

Hi

This might be the work of the Swen worm or something similar
(it could be from some spyware or parasite as well).

To try to solve your problem, do the following:

Copy and paste the URL address lines into your IE address bar:

http://www.dougknox.com

In the menu, select Security, Disable/Enable Registry Editing Tools.

This small VB Script will remove this restriction. If the first time the
script is run it says "Disabled", run it again to enable registry edits again.

To try to find what has caused this:

Run a cleanup tool, e.g. Stinger.exe from McAfee, it removes 30+
virus/worms in one sweep.

McAfee AVERT Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Be sure to run an updated Antivirus program at all times.

For the Spyware and Parasites part, you will need to run other tools:

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

The Parasite Fight
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

pauly [MSFT]

Eileen,

There may be a policy preventing making changes in the registry.

Try this:

1. Start Run Gpedit.msc.

2. Under 'User Configuration', Expand 'Administrative Templates'.

3. Single-click on 'System' to highlight it.

4. You should see the item 'Prevent Access to registry editing tools'
listed on the right. Double-click on this item.

5. By default this is set to 'Not Configured'. You can change this to
'disabled', then click apply

6. Close the editor.

Let me know if this works.

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "eileen" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "eileen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Registry editing has been disabled by administrator
| Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:30:49 -0800
|
| I am trying to install Mcafee virus program and I keep
| receiving the error "Registry editing has been disabled
| by the administrator". I have tried everything I can
| think of to change this. I have tried changing the dword
| value to 0, installing an external disable/enable
| registry progra (two). Any other suggestions?

Scott

Thanks, Paul. I was having the same problem and this worked great. I
am using Windows 2000 and the name of the policy was 'Disable Registry
Editing Tools'. Once I disabled this policy, I was able to edit the
registry and using the information in this knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159&Product=ie600

I deleted the HomePage key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Control Panel and was once again able to edit my default home
page.

Thanks,
Scott