RED X & Verizon

www.vzwpix.com is the only website that I have a problem with the RED X
placeholder - and it only occurs with the My Messages/Inbox area and the Blue
Mountain images in the Gallery. If I go to Create a Pix message the images
all show their thumbnail. The site works fine on a WinXP Home SP2, but not on
my WinXP Pro SP2. Both machines are running the same AV, Firewall, Spy
Sweeper. Have disabled with no help. Updated Java, Checked IE Options
settings, and followed most of the help on dozens of posts. Verizon says it
is my problem - agreed (?), but with some reservations. This is the ONLY site
that this has and is presently having this problem. Help??

Don Varnau

Hi,
The images which aren't loading appear to be called by Javascript.

Some possibilities:
Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Try placing the site in Trusted Sites (Internet Options> Security.) Uncheck
"Require server verification" and enter the site as *vzwpix.com

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Check any third-party security programs, toolbars, pop-up blockers, etc. to
see if one of them is blocking scripts, scripting, active content. A number
of programs can be configured to block scripts.

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Re-registering the DLLs listed in this article may help:
281679 - You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens
After You Click a Link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don -

I did it all and verified the files noted were present. What is strange is
that the thumbnails appear when I create a Pix Message, but not in the Inbox.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Don

JustUs said:
www.vzwpix.com is the only website that I have a problem with the RED X
placeholder - and it only occurs with the My Messages/Inbox area and the Blue
Mountain images in the Gallery. If I go to Create a Pix message the images
all show their thumbnail. The site works fine on a WinXP Home SP2, but not on
my WinXP Pro SP2. Both machines are running the same AV, Firewall, Spy
Sweeper. Have disabled with no help. Updated Java, Checked IE Options
settings, and followed most of the help on dozens of posts. Verizon says it
is my problem - agreed (?), but with some reservations. This is the ONLY site
that this has and is presently having this problem. Help??

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas except... the Blue Mountain gallery
requires Macromedia Flash. Is Flash Player installed? You can test Flash at
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/ and download it if necessary
from http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer/

I can't poke around much at www.vzwpix.com without logging in.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

JustUs said:
[...]

Think it would do any good to reload/repair IE6? Is there a way to do that
without loosing my favorites, etc? Where would I get an IE6 download, and
what about the updates?

BTW - Flash was already installed, but did it again anyway - no change :(

Don

Don Varnau said:
[...]

I found this information on IE6 Repair. Your opinion please. Also, I
understand that the process asks for the SP2 CD. I do not have one - I
downloaded the SP2 from MS in an EXE format. What can I do?

Don

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and
/scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden
Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive
that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf
folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

I picked up this information from Sandi Hardmeiers site, but couldn't see a
way to make appropriate contact. Info stated that problem could be that these
entries are missing - in my case they are. At least to the point that Content
Type does not say "image/jpeg".

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg (there is a dot before jpg)
For Content Type is should say "image/jpeg"
Do the same for .jpe and .jpeg

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif (don't forget the dot)
For Content Type is should say "image/gif"

Here is my Registry entry:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
@="ACDSee 8.0.jpeg"
"PerceivedType"="image"
"Roxio8.OldPerceivedType"="image"
"Roxio8.OldVal"="ACDSee 8.0.jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\OpenWithList\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids]
"jpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\UndoClass]
@="ACDSee 7.0.jpeg"

Hope this additional information might help :)

Don

Don Varnau said:
[...]

If JPEG/JPG images are displaying properly on other sites, I'm not sure that
the file association is broken. But, you might try this fix
JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
from http://www.dougknox.com/ It's a zipped REG file (read the first
paragraph.)

If that doesn't work, I'll finish the other answer I was working on. ;-)

But, here's part of it:
Try one more test before reinstalling IE6. Startup in Safe Mode with
Networking. If the images display, you know that another program (which
didn't load in Safe Mode) is causing the problem. Stay online for the
shortest time possible- your security programs won't be running.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

:

"JustUs" wrote in message
[...]

Neither of the suggestions worked. What is really baffling to me is that the
images are viewable on another page of the same site.

What does this command "really" do" sfc /scannow
Does it remove/change updates, preferences, etc?

I really appreciate your help!

Don

"JustUs" wrote in message
www.vzwpix.com is the only website that I have a problem with the RED
placeholder - and it only occurs with the My Messages/Inbox area and
the Blue
Mountain images in the Gallery. If I go to Create a Pix message the
images
all show their thumbnail. The site works fine on a WinXP Home SP2, but
not on
my WinXP Pro SP2. Both machines are running the same AV, Firewall, Spy
Sweeper. Have disabled with no help. Updated Java, Checked IE Options
settings, and followed most of the help on dozens of posts. Verizon
says it
is my problem - agreed (?), but with some reservations. This is the
ONLY site
that this has and is presently having this problem. Help??

Don -
I found an interesting entry in the Registry referencing Jpeg and IExplorer
and WWW....
Perhaps there info here to help. ***I deleted the data some of the data for
the sake of posting. If you need it I can send the entire key exported.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open]
@="&Open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft
Shared\\PhotoEd\\PHOTOED.EXE\" \"%1\""
***I deleted the data following*** "command"=hex

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec]
@="\"file:%1\",,-1,,,,,"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
@="IExplore"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
@="WWW_OpenURL"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\Print]
@="&Print"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\Print\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft
Shared\\PhotoEd\\PHOTOED.EXE\" /p \"%1\""
***I deleted the data following*** "command"=hex

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\Printto]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\Printto\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft
Shared\\PhotoEd\\PHOTOED.EXE\" /pt \"%1\" \"%2\" \"%3\" \"%4\""

"JustUs" wrote in message
www.vzwpix.com is the only website that I have a problem with the RED
placeholder - and it only occurs with the My Messages/Inbox area and
the Blue
Mountain images in the Gallery. If I go to Create a Pix message the
images
all show their thumbnail. The site works fine on a WinXP Home SP2, but
not on
my WinXP Pro SP2. Both machines are running the same AV, Firewall, Spy
Sweeper. Have disabled with no help. Updated Java, Checked IE Options
settings, and followed most of the help on dozens of posts. Verizon
says it
is my problem - agreed (?), but with some reservations. This is the
ONLY site
that this has and is presently having this problem. Help??

Don -

I found a fix, though not the one I want. I loaded Firefox and everything
works just fine. That narrows it down to IE rather than another part of the
OS - correct? I am still desiring a fix for IE. Not comfortable with Firefox.

Will keep trying ~
Don

"JustUs" wrote in message
www.vzwpix.com is the only website that I have a problem with the RED
placeholder - and it only occurs with the My Messages/Inbox area and
the Blue
Mountain images in the Gallery. If I go to Create a Pix message the
images
all show their thumbnail. The site works fine on a WinXP Home SP2, but
not on
my WinXP Pro SP2. Both machines are running the same AV, Firewall, Spy
Sweeper. Have disabled with no help. Updated Java, Checked IE Options
settings, and followed most of the help on dozens of posts. Verizon
says it
is my problem - agreed (?), but with some reservations. This is the
ONLY site
that this has and is presently having this problem. Help??

Don Varnau

Hi,
The conventional wisdom regarding a reinstall of IE6 XP SP2 is to uninstall
the SP2 update, repair or reinstall (sfc /scannow) then reinstall SP2. (Got
broadband?)

SFC (System File Checker) checks system files and replaces files which are
damaged or are the wrong version. Favorites, settings, etc should be safe.
But running Internet Explorer Backup from
http://www.backsettings.com/internet-explorer-backup.html would still be a
good idea.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm tip #12

318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 If you
have an OEM (Compaq, Dell, etc.) Restore Disk, you probably won't be able to
use sfc /scannow. IE Fix from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Reinstall
may help.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 [uninstall SP2][XP SP2]:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;875350

(Combining posts) Since Firefox displays the images, that pretty much rules
out your firewall or another program as the cause.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

JustUs said:
[...]

RED area
and message
the SP2,
but Firewall,
Spy is
the

Don -

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

I did the backup, tried the fix and still the same. Since I have a solution
in place and IE is otherwise working well, I will have to think more about
the uninstall and reinstall of IE6.

Does the sfc /scannow affect those files which may have been updated? Will I
have to get all the updates over again? Is there a way to undo the changes?

Don

"JustUs" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, sfc /scannow will install those files which are on the Windows CD. You
should then reinstall SP2 and visit Windows Update.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JustUs" wrote in message
[...]

I tried the Verizon site on an eMac at work with OSX and IE 5.2. The opeing
page would not load. Well, actually it would load, reload, reload... Like it
was caught in a loop. Firefox on the eMac worked just fine.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

;-)

"JustUs" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Don,
Glad you found a workaround. Reinstalling IE and SP2 and all updates may or
may not be worthwhile just for one site. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JustUs" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the help!! You MVPs are all great!

Don