Red cross instead of image displayed in email

Using Exchange 2003\Outlook 2003 - In Outlook, messages with embedded
pictures arrive without pictures and instead show as a cross in a box.

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Ron,

It is nice to work with you here again!

I'm really sorry that it takes so long time for us to respond to you in
this thread, due to our internal server synchronization issue. We apologize
for any inconvenience that the issue has caused. Please rest assured that
we are always here and try our best to help you solve the issue.

Before we go any further, I would like to confirm whether the problematic
messages are of HTML format. If so, does the following text display in the
blank area where it should show the embedded picture: "Right-click here to
download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented
automatic download of this picture from the Internet"?

If it is this case, this issue is most likely related to the Automatic
Picture Download Setting. Please try the following steps to test the issue:

(1) Start Outlook and click Tools menu -> Options.
(2) On the Security tab, click "Change Automatic Download Settings".
(3) In the "Automatic Picture Download Settings" dialog box, clear the
"Don't download pictures or other content automatically in HTML e-mail" box.

More information is documented in the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use the Automatic Picture Download Setting feature to determine
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831608

If this issue still occurs, I would like to provide you with the following
suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Modify the security settings in Outlook
----------------------------------
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Select the Security tab.
3. In the Secure Content section of this dialog box, change the Zone from
"Restricted sites" to "Internet".
4. Click OK.

Step 2: Start Outlook Safe Mode:
-------------------------
Outlook Safe Mode will disable all add-ins, extensions, corrupted
resources, files, registries, or templates.

1. Click Start, and then click Run
2. Type "Outlook.exe /safe" and click OK. (Without quotation marks but
there is a space in front of "/")

Step 3: Create a new profile:
-------------------------
If this issue persists, I suggest that we create a new Outlook profile. A
new profile is a new environment for us to use Outlook. Please follow the
steps in the Microsoft KB article below:

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918

Step 4: If this issue persists, please help me collect the following
information for further assistance:
-------------------------
1. If it only appears with HTML emails, I would confirm whether this issue
occurs with all HTML email messages or just some of them.

2. Please capture a screenshot to show me the symptom of this issue so that
I can have a more concrete idea. My working email address is
(e-mail address removed).

3. I also suggest that we configure the problematic Exchange account on
another known-good computer to test the issue again.

I hope the information above is helpful.

Please try the suggestions above and let me know the results at your
earliest convenience.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Winfred
This problem occurs when creating a new html email message and then pasting
a screen capture into the body of the email.

The cross still appears when the automatic download setting is turned off (I
have had this turned off since we got Outlook 2003).

It worked when starting Outlook in safe mode. ie. I could paste a screen
capture into a html email.

It still does not work after creating a new profile.

Ron McLay
IT Services Manager
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Further to my previous post... this issue isn't a problem when creating rich
text emails.

ie. If I paste a screen capture into a html email and the cross comes up in
place of the image I then change the format of the email to rich text and
paste it again, it then works.

--

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thank you for your reply and the detailed information.

Based on my tests, when I capture a screenshot and paste it onto an HTML
email message, the picture shows correctly. Since the issue does not occur
in Outlook Safe Mode, it is most likely to be caused by some third party
add-ins, Word editor or corrupt cache files. Please use the following
troubleshooting steps to narrow down the issue:

Step 1: Check Outlook Add-in
-------------------------
1) Start Outlook Safe Mode.
2) Click "Tools" menu-> "Options"-> "Other" tab-> "Advanced Options"
button-> "Add-In Manager".
3) Clear all the check boxes to disable all Add-Ins, and then click OK.
4) Click "COM Add-Ins".
5) Clear all the check boxes to disable all COM Add-Ins, and then click OK.
6) Click OK twice.
7) Open Outlook in normal mode. All add-ins should be disabled at that
time.

Please test the issue again and let me know the results. If the issue
stills exists, please go directly to step 2. If the issue does not occur,
please follow the steps below to determine the corrupted add-in.

8) Click to enable one add-in and then restart Outlook to check if the
problem re-occurs.
9) Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In Manager or COM
Add-Ins, restart Outlook, and repeat the above procedure.
10) Once the issue reappears again, you can determine which add-in causes
this problem and then disable it to solve the problem.

Step 2: Rename cache files
-------------------------
Please perform a search on your computer to find the following files. After
we find them, please rename ".dat" to ".old". We use this step to clear the
cache files in case they are corrupt and cause this issue:

extend.dat
outcmd.dat
frmcache.dat
views.dat

Note: Some of them may not exist, but it should not matter. You may also
need to show the extension of the file and enable the "Show hidden files"
option in "Folder Options".

Step 3: Disable Word Editor
-------------------------
1) In Outlook, click Tools menu -> Options -> Mail Format.
2) Deselect the "Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" check boxes.

Hope this helps resolve the issue on your end.

If you encounter any difficulty when implementing the steps above, feel
free to let me know. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Sorry...I spoke too soon. Deleting the cache files didn't work and removing
the add-in's didn't work either.

--
Ron McLay
IT Services Manager
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission

Ron McLay said:
Deleting the cache files fixed it.

Thanks.

--

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

It is nice to hear from you again.

I'm sorry to hear that this issue still occurs after we rename the cache
files and remove all Outlook add-ins. Have you disabled Word Editor in
Outlook to test the issue? If you have not got a chance to do so, I suggest
that we perform this step this time as it is crucial for us to narrow down
this problem. For your convenience, I have listed the steps as below:

1. In Outlook, click Tools menu -> Options -> Mail Format.
2. Deselect the "Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" check boxes.

If we can paste pictures properly with Word editor disabled, this seems to
be a Word problem. In this situation I would suggest that we directly start
Word application and paste a picture. Will it show properly?

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Red cross instead of image displayed in email
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:59:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Should have mentioned before that we do not enable Word Editor as the email
editor. So, yes it was disabled when I performed all the other tests.

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:59:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Sorry...I spoke too soon. Deleting the cache files didn't work and removing
the add-in's didn't work either.

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply and clarification.

After I review all the previous correspondences between us, I understand
that this issue does not occur when we start Outlook in Safe Mode.
Therefore, I suggest that we first backup the registry and then remove any
outlook add-in subkeys which are at the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

After this, please restart Outlook to test the issue again.

Meanwhile, since this issue only occurs with HTML email messages, it may
also be related to some Internet Explorer settings. Based on my further
research, I would also like to provide you with the following suggestions
to narrow down this issue:

1. Some third party firewalls or antivirus programs may cause this issue.
So I suggest that we temporarily disable or remove all the firewalls and
antivirus programs on the problematic system and test again whether the
problem still exists.

2. If this issue persists, please try the following steps:

1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Go to Tools -> Internet Options.
3) On the Programs tab, please click the "Reset Web Settings" button.
4) Select the "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the
default browser" check box.
5) Click OK to confirm the change.

If it still occurs, let's use Process Explorer to identify which processes
are invoked by Outlook normal mode. Using this tool we can compare the .dll
files loaded in Outlook normal mode and safe mode. To do this:

1) Download the tool (the appropriate version) from the following link:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Warning: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.

2) Run the procexp.exe program from the downloaded Zip package.
3) Start Outlook in normal mode and try to reproduce the problem.
4) Switch to the Process Explorer window; click Outlook.exe in the Process
list to highlight it.
5) Click the View menu, and select Lower Pane View -> DLLs.
6) Click the File menu, click Save As, and save the branch as
Outlook_Normal.txt.
7) Quit Outlook and the Process Explorer.
8) Repeat the step 2 to 6 when you start Outlook Safe Mode. Save the branch
as Outlook_Safe.txt.
9) Send the two files to me at (e-mail address removed) and I will perform
further analysis on my side.

Hope this helps. Please try the suggestions above and let me know the

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:59:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

:

[...]

Does Winifred still work for microsoft? I tried sending files that I made
because I am having the same issue and it came back undeliverable. Is there
someone I can send them to for analysis like she mentioned here. Thanks

Ralph

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:59:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for posting here!

However, I would like to explain that the newsgroup is an issue based
service, meaning we usually respond to one question/issue per post per
user. This will lessen the confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that
our results are accurate and not a result of a test for a different
question. Although your symptoms seem similar to Ron's, it may be caused by
different problems. Therefore, please submit a new post for your question.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

From: =?Utf-8?B?UmFscGggRGV2bGlu?= <[email protected]>

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>

From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1jTGF5?= <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:59:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

I try it on the Outlook 2007, but it does not work, because it does not have
the tab you mentioned. Any sugestions for outlook 2007?

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Patrick Schmid

Look in Tools, Trust Center, Automatic Download to find the same
setting.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Hi there,

Thank you for posting here!

Please understand that Office 2007 is still in Beta version, and this is
for testing and planning purposes only. In addition, Beta code is offered
"As Is", and does not include technical support. For additional information
about Office 2007, you can refer to the following Microsoft web page:

2007 Microsoft Office system preview Site
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx?showIntro=n

From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V0bw==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:24:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thanks. I found it.
Unfortunately it did not solved the problem.
I still get the red cross boxes instead of images.

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thank you for posting back. I'm sorry to hear that this issue persists.

However, as I explained in my last reply, Office 2007 is still in Beta
version and this is for testing and planning purposes only. I'm afraid that
Beta version is out of our technical support boundary. Your understanding
is highly appreciated.

From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V0bw==?= <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Ok I understand tha I am not welcome.
I will uninstall all windows products and return to my previous mac.

From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V0bw==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:24:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Dear Customer,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may bring to you.

You are more than welcome to post in our newsgroups for questions related
to Microsoft released products. However, please kindly understand that Beta
version products are for testing and planning purposes only. I'm afraid
that they do not include technical support. Your understanding on our
support process is highly appreciated.

Regarding the current situation, you may consider using the following
resource for our Beta products:

Welcome to Microsoft Beta!
https://beta.microsoft.com

If you have any trouble in the access to this web site, you can send email
to (e-mail address removed) for assistance.

For more information, please check:
http://beta.microsoft.com/content/AboutMicrosoftBeta.htm

From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V0bw==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:24:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

profile.
[...]

Brian Tillman

Winfred Weng said:
You are more than welcome to post in our newsgroups for questions
related to Microsoft released products. However, please kindly
understand that Beta version products are for testing and planning
purposes only. I'm afraid that they do not include technical support.
Your understanding on our support process is highly appreciated.

Since this is not an official Microsoftsoft support channel, and since it IS
a peer-to-peer venue and a lot of the people here are also trying Outlook
2007 beta, it is plenty appropriate for Guto to post his questions here, in
the hopes that someone else has encountered the problem as well. Perhaps
what is NOT approrpriate is for a MIcrosoft support person to chime in and
say, "don't post here."