Red cross instead of image displayed in email

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting here and letting me know your thoughts.

Actually, I meant to explain in my previous reply that we do not provide
technical support for beta version products. However, we do welcome our
customers to post here for peer experiences and recommendations from others
who read the newsgroups regularly and who will either share their
knowledge. I apologize for any confusion if I did not sound clearly.

Once again thank you for your understanding.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

From: "Brian Tillman" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

The following steps worked for me.

1. Locate the Outlook Temporary Items folder by opening the Registry and
locating
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
2. Navigate to the value of this Key. It should be something like:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\ where OLK3D is
some randomly generated string that always starts with OLK
3. Quit Outlook
4. Delete the contents of the folder
5. Launch Outlook

Sci1234

I have the same problem with Vista and Outlook 2003. It was working fine for
a year, now it just stopped working (same issue if I use snipper). Cannot
past an image into Outlook, just shows a red x. If I swith to use word to
render HTML, it works.

Jayman

Outlook 2007 is no longer in Beta and this problem is still a major one. I
have another thread started discussing this same problem:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...eral&mid=78317b13-c957-4d06-acd6-efa90b5c37f3

What is the fix?? Thanks.

Jason

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
Hi there,

Thank you for posting here!

Please understand that Office 2007 is still in Beta version, and this is
for testing and planning purposes only. In addition, Beta code is offered
"As Is", and does not include technical support. For additional information
about Office 2007, you can refer to the following Microsoft web page:

2007 Microsoft Office system preview Site
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx?showIntro=n

From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V0bw==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Red cross instead of image displayed in email
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:24:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

I try it on the Outlook 2007, but it does not work, because it does not have
the tab you mentioned. Any sugestions for outlook 2007?

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
Hi Ron,

It is nice to work with you here again!

I'm really sorry that it takes so long time for us to respond to you in
this thread, due to our internal server synchronization issue. We apologize
for any inconvenience that the issue has caused. Please rest assured that
we are always here and try our best to help you solve the issue.

Before we go any further, I would like to confirm whether the problematic
messages are of HTML format. If so, does the following text display in the
blank area where it should show the embedded picture: "Right-click here to
download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented
automatic download of this picture from the Internet"?

If it is this case, this issue is most likely related to the Automatic
Picture Download Setting. Please try the following steps to test the issue:

(1) Start Outlook and click Tools menu -> Options.
(2) On the Security tab, click "Change Automatic Download Settings".
(3) In the "Automatic Picture Download Settings" dialog box, clear the
"Don't download pictures or other content automatically in HTML e-mail" box.

More information is documented in the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use the Automatic Picture Download Setting feature to determine
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831608

If this issue still occurs, I would like to provide you with the following
suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Modify the security settings in Outlook
----------------------------------
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Select the Security tab.
3. In the Secure Content section of this dialog box, change the Zone from
"Restricted sites" to "Internet".
4. Click OK.

Step 2: Start Outlook Safe Mode:
-------------------------
Outlook Safe Mode will disable all add-ins, extensions, corrupted
resources, files, registries, or templates.

1. Click Start, and then click Run
2. Type "Outlook.exe /safe" and click OK. (Without quotation marks but
there is a space in front of "/")

Step 3: Create a new profile:
-------------------------
If this issue persists, I suggest that we create a new Outlook profile. A
new profile is a new environment for us to use Outlook. Please follow the
steps in the Microsoft KB article below:

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918

Step 4: If this issue persists, please help me collect the following
information for further assistance:
-------------------------
1. If it only appears with HTML emails, I would confirm whether this issue
occurs with all HTML email messages or just some of them.

2. Please capture a screenshot to show me the symptom of this issue so that
I can have a more concrete idea. My working email address is
(e-mail address removed).

3. I also suggest that we configure the problematic Exchange account on
another known-good computer to test the issue again.

I hope the information above is helpful.

Please try the suggestions above and let me know the results at your
earliest convenience.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Rob

Worked for me. Outlook 2003 Word 2003 on Win2k machine. Folder was over 2G.
in size. Deleted the items and could see all pics embedded in emails.
Thanks a bunch!

MZimmer

I am new to this site, and I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance. For
a very long time I have taken HTML content (originally created in FrontPage)
and pasted it into an HTML based email message, and have had no problem being
able to see the images. However, yesterday I began encountering the "red x"
problem, and just like those who posted before me, could only see the images
in "reply" or "forward" mode. I've spent most of today trying all the
suggestions posted here, none of which worked. I even did a "repair" to my
Office installation in case I accidentally deleted something I shouldn't
have. After trying all the recommended strategies on this site, the problem
was not fixed.

I then tried sending the same HTML Email message from my wireless laptop to
determine if it was a problem unique to my desktop system. I encountered the
same issue, which made me think it is more about the image type being used in
the HTML message. So I changed all of the images from fpg files to gif
format, and woila! Problem solved!

So...........now I just need your guidance to figure out why I can't use jpg
images in my HTML messages (as I have been doing for years)..........but can
now only send in GIF format. Any ideas?

Thank you so very much.--
MZimmer