Recurring Blue Screen of Death fault in Windows XP Pro SP3

Enquiring Mind

Hi,

My friend's laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3 has within the last week
developed a nasty fault. After 3 years of trouble-free performance under XP
Pro SP 2 the computer has now started to frequently crash, both during
start-up, and during normal operation. The blue error screen is frequently
thrown, particularly when the user is using Internet Explorer. The blue
screen appears during start-up, and will repeatedly reappear during start-up
unless the user starts in Safe Mode. I started in Safe Mode, ran a virus
scan (the scanner reported that some Windows files were locked, so couldn't
be scanned). I ran Chkdsk to check for disk faults, and none were reported.
I then checked the System Event Log, and found that several DCOM error
events had been recorded.

I then decided to restore the system to a previous 'satisfactory' state. I
discovered that the last few restore points included the label "Software
Distribution Service 3.0". Further investigation led me to suspect that the
faults may be connected with Windows and/or Office Genuine Advantage,
because on one recent occasion my friend was presented with a pop-up message
suggesting that the Office software was not genuine.

After starting the computer in Safe Mode I restored the computer to a
Restore Point which had been created before those containing the label
"Software Distribution Service 3.0", as I suspected that these may have had
something to do with the installation of Windows or Office Genuine Advantage
.. I was subsequently able to restart the computer in normal mode but blue
screens of death continue to be fired at seemingly random intervals.

Can anyone suggest what actions need to be taken next to locate and
eradicate the fault? Am I right in thinking that the start-up process
includes a memory check, implying that the problem cannot be caused by a
fault in the memory?

I have no reason to believe the hardware drivers have become corrupted,
because the appearance of the desktop is normal except when the blue screens
are thrown.

My friend was recently presented with a window inviting him to install a
Windows Update, which he imprudently did.

I read on the web that Windows/Office Genuine Advantage adds a plug-in to
Internet Explorer. What exactly does this plug-in do?

If Windows/Office Genuine Advantage rightly or wrongly presumes that there
is a non-genuine copy of a Windows/Office component on the computer, would
it generate the system failures, rather than just issue warning messages, or
simply prohibit the running of the applications presumed to be illegal?

Any help appreciated.

EM

Gerry

You need to post complete copies of the Stop Error Reports. One
occurring as part of the boot process is likely to be a different error
to that occurring later.

If you haven't done so already disable automatic restart on system
failure. This should help by allowing time to write down the STOP code
properly. Right click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select
Properties, Advanced, Start-Up and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck
box before Automatically Restart. Do not re-enable automatic restart on
system failure.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken Blake, MVP

Hi,

My friend's laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3 has within the last week
developed a nasty fault. After 3 years of trouble-free performance under XP
Pro SP 2 the computer has now started to frequently crash, both during
start-up, and during normal operation. The blue error screen is frequently
thrown, particularly when the user is using Internet Explorer.

The blue screen contains an error code. Please tell us what it is.
With that information it's very difficult to help you.

The blue
screen appears during start-up, and will repeatedly reappear during start-up
unless the user starts in Safe Mode. I started in Safe Mode, ran a virus
scan (the scanner reported that some Windows files were locked, so couldn't
be scanned).

*What* anti-virus program did you run? They are far from being equally
good, and the most popular ones are among the worst.

Did you also run anti-spyware programs? Spyware is a more and more
common and more and more serious problem these days.

[...]

No. Although the POST checks memory, it is far from a thorough check.
A memory problem, or another hardware problem, is certainly a
possibility. But without the error code, it's very hard to guess what
the problem might be.

Ken Blake, MVP

The blue screen contains an error code. Please tell us what it is.
With that information it's very difficult to help you.

Sorry, the first word in my second sentence above should be "without,"
of course.

Enquiring Mind

Kn, Thanks for response! Sorry for delay in replying - I had to wait for
friend to send me the info that you asked for!
The blue screen contains an error code. Please tell us what it is.
With that information it's very difficult to help you.
Some info copied manually from the BSOD that appeared at strat-up:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP 0x00000001 (0x06624692,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xF8620E9F)
*** NDIS.SYS - Address F8620E9F base at F8608000, Datestamp 48025d03

*What* anti-virus program did you run? They are far from being equally
good, and the most popular ones are among the worst.
AVG

Did you also run anti-spyware programs? Spyware is a more and more
common and more and more serious problem these days.
AVG includes spyware scanning
Regards,

EM

Ken Blake, MVP

Kn, Thanks for response! Sorry for delay in replying - I had to wait for
friend to send me the info that you asked for!

Some info copied manually from the BSOD that appeared at strat-up:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP 0x00000001 (0x06624692,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xF8620E9F)
*** NDIS.SYS - Address F8620E9F base at F8608000, Datestamp 48025d03

There are a number of possible causes for that error message. I
suggest doing a Google search on DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and
looking what's suggested in the hits you get to see what matches your
situation.

AVG includes spyware scanning

AVG is not one of the better anti-virus programs (better free
anti-virus programs are Avast and Avira), and although it has *some*
anti-spyware capability, it is *not* really an anti-spyware program.

The two best anti-spyware programs these days are MalwareBytes
AntiMalware and Super AntiSpyware.

Enquiring Mind