Recovery PRoblem

Power failure killed the system (Yeah, I know UPS!! Never needed one before)
anyway, Recovery did not work, I then went to install (from CD). I am not
getting a version of XP showing on the screen just:

152626 MB DIsk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1[Unknown] 152617MB <152617 MB free>

Unpartioned space 8MB

Unknown DIsk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

When I go beyond this screen using ENTER, Formatting is the only option
other than Cancel.

Simply, is the data recoverable (and how) or did I loose the drive and
contents?

Thank heaven for laptops AND I guess UPS is the next purchase.

Thanks

DON

db

try booting up with
you windows cd
and via your
recovery console
type chkdsk /r at
the c prompt.....

- db
Power failure killed the system (Yeah, I know UPS!! Never needed one before)
anyway, Recovery did not work, I then went to install (from CD). I am not
getting a version of XP showing on the screen just:

152626 MB DIsk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1[Unknown] 152617MB <152617 MB free>

Unpartioned space 8MB

Unknown DIsk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

When I go beyond this screen using ENTER, Formatting is the only option
other than Cancel.

Simply, is the data recoverable (and how) or did I loose the drive and
contents?

Thank heaven for laptops AND I guess UPS is the next purchase.

Thanks

DON

Unless it was worth it to you to pay someone to work on recovery of the data,
usually a quite expensive operation, it's not likely that you will recover
the partition.
Talking about all the possible ways to avoid your bad luck, like doubly
redundant mirrored drives, or regular backups to other media are a great
theory, but it comes back to how much that all costs. RAID is an acronym for
Random Array of Inexpensive Disks. Yeah, well, define "Inexpensive" :/

I just bought a 320 external and was getting ready to b/u when the power blew.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

DonElston said:
Power failure killed the system (Yeah, I know UPS!! Never needed one before)
anyway, Recovery did not work, I then went to install (from CD). I am not
getting a version of XP showing on the screen just:

152626 MB DIsk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1[Unknown] 152617MB <152617 MB free>

Unpartioned space 8MB

Unknown DIsk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

When I go beyond this screen using ENTER, Formatting is the only option
other than Cancel.

Simply, is the data recoverable (and how) or did I loose the drive and
contents?

Thank heaven for laptops AND I guess UPS is the next purchase.

Thanks

DON

db

also, boot into the cmos/bios
menu and make sure your hardware
is registered including the harddrives...
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message try booting up with
you windows cd
and via your
recovery console
type chkdsk /r at
the c prompt.....

- db
Power failure killed the system (Yeah, I know UPS!! Never needed one before)
anyway, Recovery did not work, I then went to install (from CD). I am not
getting a version of XP showing on the screen just:

152626 MB DIsk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1[Unknown] 152617MB <152617 MB free>

Unpartioned space 8MB

Unknown DIsk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

When I go beyond this screen using ENTER, Formatting is the only option
other than Cancel.

Simply, is the data recoverable (and how) or did I loose the drive and
contents?

Thank heaven for laptops AND I guess UPS is the next purchase.

Thanks

DON

John John

Your verses
are getting
shorter
and shorter.

Pretty soon
you will
be posting
one letter
per

db

:)

thanks......!
Your verses
are getting
shorter
and shorter.

Pretty soon
you will
be posting
one letter
per

Bingo!! chkdsk worked. I forgot about chkdsk, it has been so long since I
used dos commands.

You are awesome!!

Thanks again

db