Recovering Deleted Files from a Network Mapped Drive

Phoenix

I have user who accidentally delete their folders and
files from time to time. They work on a Pre-windows 2000
PC and also Windows 2000 Pro PCs. I unsure of where the
files go because they are not in the recycle bin located
on the server or local side. Is there a microsoft utiliy
that can undelete a deleted file? If not, I would
appreciated your suggestions.

Your Urgent response to this would be greate appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

Files on a network share do not go to recycle bin when they are deleted.
You would need a third party tool to recover the files on the server or
restore the files from a backup.
Joe Griffin[MS]
From: "Phoenix" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Phoenix" <[email protected]>
Subject: Recovering Deleted Files from a Network Mapped Drive
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:09:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

I have user who accidentally delete their folders and
files from time to time. They work on a Pre-windows 2000
PC and also Windows 2000 Pro PCs. I unsure of where the
files go because they are not in the recycle bin located
on the server or local side. Is there a microsoft utiliy
that can undelete a deleted file? If not, I would
appreciated your suggestions.

Your Urgent response to this would be greate appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe,

Thanks for your prompt response. Can or will you make a
suggestion on what 3rd party softwares you recommend?

thank again!

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

Sorry, I do not keep up with tools that are available that do this. Use
one of the search engines and search for data recovery.
Joe Griffin [MS]

From: "Phoenix" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Phoenix" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:09:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

I have user who accidentally delete their folders and
files from time to time. They work on a Pre-windows 2000
PC and also Windows 2000 Pro PCs. I unsure of where the
files go because they are not in the recycle bin located
on the server or local side. Is there a microsoft utiliy
that can undelete a deleted file? If not, I would
appreciated your suggestions.

Your Urgent response to this would be greate appreciated.

Thanks.

Vaughn McMillan - Executive Software

Hi -

The accidentally-deleted files may still be recoverable if they
haven't already been overwritten by other file activity on the server.
(The chance is a bit slim, but it exists.) There are several
third-party file recovery products available, and a Google search for
"undelete" will show you several. (My personal recommendation is at
the URL below, but there are others, too.)

To prevent this from happening in the future, I'd recommend replacing
the Windows Recycle Bin with something that's more robust and able to
capture deletions across the networks (as in your situation). For
this, the only product I know of is Executive Software's Undelete
(www.undelete.com)

I hope this helps -

Vaughn McMillan
Executive Software