recover data after 'reinstall' after xp shutdown??

Reaction score
hi there, been researching for days finding no solutions. greatly appreciate any assistance or guidance as i am unfamiliar with tech probs and losing my mind over losing my files.

initial prob: win did not load on start up, instead entered win setup. options were unavailable/frozen- could not even resart/power off. i cut the main power to restart. was then able to either enter bios or let win setup load again.
a message told me: a problem was detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.. it recommended to run chkdsk/f.

a friend advised to reinstall windows by this link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
i think i did this correctly, except for backing up my data because i could not access my os.

*might be necessary to note: i had my comp configured (partitioned?) so that E was my main drive, after i had some problems with my C drive long ago (intended to reformat C but never got to it). been working optimally like this for nearly two years.

now: after repairinstalling win xp, my old C drive (incomplete and potentially corrupt) is back into play and the contents of my much valued 'E' drive are now in D (not sure if that matters or not).
however the contents in D are 'corrupt', unaccessible and my 'access is denied'.
also, the last time i started the comp an unfamiliar flash screen appeared scrolling lines and lines of 'recovering orphaned file 'such and such''. when windows finally loaded i found that many files from the D drive were now mia, the remaining ones still unaccessible.

thought i should scan for viruses now that i can access the os but im afraid to run that computer until necessary, to prevent further damage.

how can i recover and repair my files and folders??

Ask a Question