Windows Vista Recover a MSWMM file

Reaction score
After creating a Windows Movie Maker Project (mswmm) I went on to create a DVD (msdvd) and used the same file name to save the DVD project. I am now unable to open the MSWMM project to edit it. I do have the MSDVD file on a DVD but am unable to rip it. Any ideas on how I can recover the MSWMM project or RIP the MSDVD back to a MSWMM file?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the mswmm file will be looking for all of the original clips/pictures/music that you used to make the video with. if you've deleted all the bits that make up the final video you're outta luck

as for ripping a dvd, if its been burnt as a proper dvd that will work in a stand alone dvd player you'll be able to rip it

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok thats odd then, do you get an error message or a reason why you can't open the project file?

there is a simple method for ripping your DVD to an AVI video file which is what i assume you want to do?

there is a guide here, the guy goes on a bit but if you've never done it before it'll explain most things. You also need to download this program

it will take a while to rip depending on the length of video and the speed of your computer etc

Ask a Question