Recording Guitar...

Reaction score
Bascially i would like to know the way to go about recording my guitar directly into my computer. I have no idea what cable i would need, or what hardware (if any) is needed

Any help would be much appreciated

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Basically, assuming it's an electric guitar, you need some sound capture software.

I think Win XP may even have the function, not sure.

You can either take the output from the guitar straight to the mic in socket of your sound card/onboard sound or take line out/slave from your combo amp/head amp to line in socket.

For this you'll need a 0.25" mono jack plug (guitar or amp) to 3.5mm stereo jack plug (sound card).

The output from an electric guitar is higher than a microphone so you will need sound capture software to trim the input signal.

You will be able to hear the guitar through your computer speakers if you go direct.

If it's an accoustic guitar, it will depend on which type of pickup you're using.

Reaction score
Its an electric

So basically if i get one of those adaptors then i can take the output from my amp straight into the computer and i won't need any new hardware?

+I have heard about programs like Cubase as free recording software. Any experience with any free sofware?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cubase isn't free.

I use dbPoweramp to record from external sources, it used to be free, but isn't any more.

Check out Audacity, it's a freebie, I don't know if it will record line in, but it's worth a look.

If not, do a Google or check out download.com for free software.

Mucks also posted a couple of links to good free software sites, but I gotta dash out now, I could post the links when I return.

Reaction score
nah don't worry ill google em

cheers guys. Im gonna go and ebay an adaptor now

Cheers for your help :D

nb: for anyone else interested everyone seems to call it a 6.35mm > 3.5mm adaptor :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out this link... some basic ways to hook your guitar to pc

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/Support/howto/howtoConnectGuitar.shtml#Method7

I use method 7, but I only record in .wav to listen to myself. I have not been able to find a program that can convert what I play into notes or tabs. I havnt tried any of the programs listed in the link, but I've heard good things about cakewalk.

Also I just found this link for a guitar effects program.
http://guitarfx.org/gfx_xp.zip But I can't access it from this pc so I have no idea if it works or not. Sorry.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Bascially i would like to know the way to go about recording my guitar directly into my computer. I have no idea what cable i would need, or what hardware (if any) is needed

Any help would be much appreciated
I'll have a word with my nephew ... he does exactly what your asking.

OK, I asked ...
He uses Qbase and a simple lead/cable from guitar to mike-in on the PC

:thumb:

Oh, and he's is dame good on that guitar too. ;)

Reaction score
Raje said:
Check out this link... some basic ways to hook your guitar to pc

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/Support/howto/howtoConnectGuitar.shtml#Method7

I use method 7, but I only record in .wav to listen to myself. I have not been able to find a program that can convert what I play into notes or tabs. I havnt tried any of the programs listed in the link, but I've heard good things about cakewalk.

Im gonna stick that in favourites - nice one

Thanks for your help guys

Can you get basic preamps cheaper than £99?

oh and raje - www.guitar-pro.com writes scores/tabs i think - check it out

Last edited:

Ask a Question