Recommendations for bible study freeware

Marten Kemp

Being quite nonreligious myself, I was unprepared when
one of Mom's church members asked about Bible study
software. I Googled on the subject and got too many
hits to properly evaluate.

I'd like recommedations for freeware packages that
I could put together into a CD distribution. Since
I'm not a believer I haven't the background to
evaluate this kind of thing.

If there are corresponding packages for study of
the Koran, Book of Mormon or other sacred writings
I'd like to know, possibly for an alternative CD.

Note: I'm *not* trying to spark a religious
debate. Discussion of software is appropriate
here, discussion of religion belongs in
alt.religion over there ======>.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

Helen

e-Sword! The best. It has several study helps and overall excellent for Bible study.

Helen
--
It has always been the policy of the
advocates of error, when unable to

El Gee

Marten said:
Being quite nonreligious myself, I was unprepared when
one of Mom's church members asked about Bible study
software. I Googled on the subject and got too many
hits to properly evaluate.

I'd like recommedations for freeware packages that
I could put together into a CD distribution. Since
I'm not a believer I haven't the background to
evaluate this kind of thing.

If there are corresponding packages for study of
the Koran, Book of Mormon or other sacred writings
I'd like to know, possibly for an alternative CD.

Note: I'm *not* trying to spark a religious
debate. Discussion of software is appropriate
here, discussion of religion belongs in
alt.religion over there ======>.
Bible Pro is not bad and is free. It has many plugins (just like
e-Sword does) and is updated on a regular basis.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Jeff Needle

Helen said:
e-Sword! The best. It has several study helps and overall excellent for Bible study.

Helen

Yes, e-sword is about as good as it gets. www.e-sword.net, I think.

It's a large program. If you want something smaller but quite nice,
consider Evening Dew Bible program (sorry, don't know the url, but you
can google it.)

As far as Koran and Book of Mormon are concerned, there are places you
can find them for e-sword. There's a discussion list on yahoo where
you'll find help for this.

Let me know if you need any further help. I have a huge collection of
freeware Bible programs.

Susan Bugher

Jeff said:
Yes, e-sword is about as good as it gets. www.e-sword.net, I think.

It's a large program. If you want something smaller but quite nice,
consider Evening Dew Bible program (sorry, don't know the url, but you
can google it.)

or look here. . .

Lists/links:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#8.18Bible
As far as Koran and Book of Mormon are concerned, there are places you
can find them for e-sword. There's a discussion list on yahoo where
you'll find help for this.

Lists/links:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#8.18Religion

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Allan Higdon

Being quite nonreligious myself, I was unprepared when
one of Mom's church members asked about Bible study
software. I Googled on the subject and got too many
hits to properly evaluate.

I'd like recommedations for freeware packages that
I could put together into a CD distribution. Since
I'm not a believer I haven't the background to
evaluate this kind of thing.

If there are corresponding packages for study of
the Koran, Book of Mormon or other sacred writings
I'd like to know, possibly for an alternative CD.

Note: I'm *not* trying to spark a religious
debate. Discussion of software is appropriate
here, discussion of religion belongs in
alt.religion over there ======>.

I know e-Sword is the favorite with most, but I prefer The Word.

Homepage: http://www.theword.gr/en/
Download: http://www.theword.gr/bin/theword-en-setup-2.0.exe

It's a much smaller download size for those of us on dial-up, and it's
easier to navigate between books and chapters for those who prefer the
keyboard.

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national
parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Jeff Needle

I know e-Sword is the favorite with most, but I prefer The Word.

Homepage: http://www.theword.gr/en/
Download: http://www.theword.gr/bin/theword-en-setup-2.0.exe

It's a much smaller download size for those of us on dial-up, and it's
easier to navigate between books and chapters for those who prefer the
keyboard.

It's a nicely done system, but it lacks Strong's number lookup, which is
essential for a good Bible study program. I can't recall exactly, but I
think this feature is coming.

Mike Andrade

How about a Bible commentary?
Any freeware commentary is going to be sadly out of date and ultra-
conservative. Depending on what you're looking for, that may be fine
for you. If so, you can look at E-sword

http://www.e-sword.net/

If you're looking for progressive scholarship, you'll have to spend
money.

--
Mike

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is
beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the
wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

Helen

Mike Andrade said:
Any freeware commentary is going to be sadly out of date and ultra-
conservative. Depending on what you're looking for, that may be fine
for you. If so, you can look at E-sword

http://www.e-sword.net/

If you're looking for progressive scholarship, you'll have to spend
money.

Hummm.... I don't think Matthew Henry is ever "out of date" nor is anyone
who fails to cater to the MTVish crowd. It's THEY who are supposed to
adjust, not vice versa. There are many resources on the Internet for
so-called "progressive scholarship". I find it interesting that ....never
mind, the conversation doesn't belong here.

Mike Andrade

never
mind, the conversation doesn't belong here.
Glad you realized that, after enthralling us with your commentary.

--
Mike

Abbott's Law
1) If you have to ask, you're not entitled to know.
2) If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked.

Marten Kemp

Mike said:
Any freeware commentary is going to be sadly out of date and ultra-
conservative. Depending on what you're looking for, that may be fine
for you. If so, you can look at E-sword

http://www.e-sword.net/

If you're looking for progressive scholarship, you'll have to spend
money.

Thanks to all who responded. I'll download the
suggestions and burn some CDs for Mom's friends.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

badgolferman

Mike Andrade, 1/3/2006, 8:28:09 PM,
Any freeware commentary is going to be sadly out of date and ultra-
conservative. Depending on what you're looking for, that may be fine
for you. If so, you can look at E-sword

http://www.e-sword.net/

If you're looking for progressive scholarship, you'll have to spend
money.

What is "progressive scholarship"? Is that the interpretations you
hear these days where homosexuality is an acceptable practice or that
Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene? If you want "progressive"
commentary perhaps you should read The Davinci Code.

Marten Kemp

Ahem. alt.religion is ======> that way.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

John Hood

Marten said:
Being quite nonreligious myself, I was unprepared when
one of Mom's church members asked about Bible study
software. I Googled on the subject and got too many
hits to properly evaluate.

I'd like recommedations for freeware packages that
I could put together into a CD distribution. Since
I'm not a believer I haven't the background to
evaluate this kind of thing.

If there are corresponding packages for study of
the Koran, Book of Mormon or other sacred writings
I'd like to know, possibly for an alternative CD.

Note: I'm *not* trying to spark a religious
debate. Discussion of software is appropriate
here, discussion of religion belongs in
alt.religion over there ======>.

Many good suggestions in reply, including eSword, has been severally
mentioned.
As an M.Div. myself, I would like to add a couple others, granted, they
are websites:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/ Is a clearinghouse of scriptural studies.
Commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, a parallel, an interlinear. Nice!

http://www.livingweb.com/index_frameset.html - Has all of the above -
plus even more commentaries, and an atlas. I checked through the list of
commentary authors, and it's a pretty solid bunch.

A note: Go carefully when searching online for Biblical resources, and
advise others to do the same. Some sites are for honest students of
scripture, but there are many who are prosletizing and hide their
intentions pretty well. They SAY they offer commentaries, but are only
offering A SINGLE commentary, and they are a little too willing to
"help" you through the Bible. All of this is dressed up in a very
pretty and easy to navigate web site that is attractive to scriptural
students. These sites are often not for the student who wants to
earnestly find out what the Bible says to them, not what SOMEONE ELSE
SAYS it says. "The beginning of wisdom in Biblical interpretation, is
when we realize that the Bible is an exotic book, about which we know
very little." R Gunter Plaut (...and one of my favorite quotes)

Good luck. OK folks, I'm done! That's it, no more! Thank you for your
patience and tolerance! :) I'll get off the soapbox now, and go back
to talking about freeware! :)

(See Mom? I didn't go to seminary for nothing! ...It cost thousands of
dollars...)

John H.

Helen

John Hood said:
Marten Kemp wrote:
Many good suggestions in reply, including eSword, has been severally
mentioned.
As an M.Div. myself, I would like to add a couple others, granted, they
are websites:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/ Is a clearinghouse of scriptural studies.
Commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, a parallel, an interlinear. Nice!

http://www.livingweb.com/index_frameset.html - Has all of the above -
plus even more commentaries, and an atlas. I checked through the list of
commentary authors, and it's a pretty solid bunch.

A note: Go carefully when searching online for Biblical resources, and
advise others to do the same. Some sites are for honest students of
scripture, but there are many who are prosletizing and hide their
intentions pretty well.

So VERY TRUE! Even some pulpit speakers have unknowingly
fallen for the NEW AGE poison because of it's attractive appearance,
it's ease, it's warm fuzzies. So sad!

What you've said here needed to be said.

Helen

They SAY they offer commentaries, but are only