Recommend a Laptop.....

Reaction score
As the title says really.

Off to buy a laptop tommorrow. Looking to spend around the £750 mark. Can any of you experts recommend a decent spec system?

I dont know much about laptops, CPU, graphics cards etc. So go easy!

Reaction score
Probably playing games, watching Dvds, office docs, etc. general school work and entertainment.

its for my little sister, shes only 14, its an Easter present, yes I know its Feb. :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Carbolicsmokeball

Can I suggest that Quadophile offers u some advice - I am sure he will respond to your thread. As Me_2001 says - what are you going to be using the lappy for????

There's mixed views about PC World so check out what some of the other experienced members of this site have to say. Hang fire for a couple of days if u can to get some opinions and suggestions about specs/models etc....

Have you looked at the IBM Thinkpad range? Might be worth checking out.

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
Sony Vaio have a good reputation. But i spent a lot of wonga on one and i wouldnt again. The after sales service is nothing short of a disgrace. The letters are rubbing off many of the keys after 8 months and my cd/dvd writer broke after 12 weeks. So stay clear of sony.

As for good ones.....who knows. :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me, I'd always go with a Mac (not that I'm biased or anything)
Had my iBook G4 two years now & no problems at all.

One thing, if she's 14 then get some extra RAM put in (Or do it yourself if that's your thing). My 13 yo daughter pushes hers to the limits all the time. She always has a ton of things going on at the same time, stick that age group onto a computer & they will take multi tasking to whole new levels!

Reaction score
Thanks all. Shes off to London this afternoon as its the holidays.

Promised her she'd be able to take a new laptop with her. Probably vouch for the Microdirect system. Seems quite a hig spec in comparison.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have had a good workout with an IBM Z60M lastweek, its a great machine at a great price, a true workhorse as well as an entertianment capable Laptop. There are few variants to suit each persons budget. In my opinion you should seriously consider one and have it on your list.

I help folks with their problems associated with laptops, most of my friends and their friends, relatives seek my help in fine tuning their laptops and in this way I get to use almost all brands of laptops, half of the folks I have coverted from different brands to IBM and they seem to curse themselves for not having bought an IBM earlier. They will never go back to anything other than IBM.

Gabriella is an IBM Laptop user and I am sure she would agree to all I have to say.

No body knows what an IBM Laptop is until they get to use one! ;)

Reaction score
Went for the Asus in the end, on the grounds its graphics caarrd was not "so" integrated so that future use may be "safeguarded" in some respects.

Thanks all for the input.

Ask a Question